Pool will be replastered during windy season what to do with leaves?

Feb 21, 2012
S. California
My backyard is being redone, including my pool being replastered. Due to issues with the contractor, which I will not get into, the project is WAY overdue and we are now getting into windy season where I live, and there are trees around my pool, and lots of debris typically gets into it. I am hoping the pool gets replastered by mid November when the winds kick in. However, I am worried about all that stuff settling onto the bottom of the newly plastered pool.

My pool is about 40ft long and 19ft wide.

1. How bad is it for leaves, twigs, and other plants to fall on the newly plastered areas?
2. How long after being plastered does it continue to be an issue with all that stuff getting into the pool?
3. Should I consider getting a giant pool cover or multiple smaller pool covers to at least try to minimize the amount of stuff getting in?
4. Any other general suggestions for handling my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Leaves and twigs getting into a pool is a serious issue when doing to the actual plastering. If leaves and twigs fall into the pool while plastering and are not removed, and instead, are plastered over, they will decompose and often discolor (produce dark spots) in plaster surface. Leaves also create a deteriorated "pocket" within the plaster surface which will need to be filled in with cement material. That, unfortunately, will usually not match the original plaster color.

Once the plastering is finished, then leaves can be removed easily. However, if leaves are left on the surface for more than a day, they can also leave a stain, but usually the stain can also be removed by sandpaper.
Your idea to "tent" the pool during the plastering operation is a good idea.

Reactions: bellbound
1. How long after plastering does it remain an issue for leaves and debris to stay on the plaster for more than a day?
2. During the plastering process I will request that it is not done on a windy day, and I will make sure there are no leaves or debris on the pavers/coping around the pool. Besides this, any other precautions I should consider?
3. Are there any issues with just keeping a pool cover on for a month while the plaster is curing? if nothing gets in, and it is not hot out, and the chlorine levels are maintained can I just keep the cover on 24/7?

Thanks!

Once the plastering crew finishes their work, leaves falling into the pool will not generally cause any staining problems.
Once the pool is filled with water (one or two days), the tent or tarp can be removed, or can remain on as long as the water remains properly chlorinated and balanced.
Leaves that fall into the pool after being filled will not generally cause problems, but leaves should be removed weekly.
Again, covers can remain on all winter (24/7) as long as the water is properly chlorinated and balanced, and the pool remains clean. Occasional (weekly) brushing is advised during winter.

Reactions: bellbound
We don't have a leaf problem like you but when our pool was replastered 3 years ago, we had a couple of leaves that stained the pool within 24 hours. A little chlorine granules got rid of the stains.

You should start filling the pool very shortly after they finish the plaster job. Then get a leaf net to keep the fall debris off it.

We don't have a leaf problem like you but when our pool was replastered 3 years ago, we had a couple of leaves that stained the pool within 24 hours. A little chlorine granules got rid of the stains.

You should start filling the pool very shortly after they finish the plaster job. Then get a leaf net to keep the fall debris off it.
How does a leaf net differ from a pool cover?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.