Pool Water TA Level

Oct 10, 2018
Fresno CA
I am wondering if I need to increase my TA levels even though I am not seeing any shift in my pH readings. I know the levels should start at at 80. I am checking daily. My current reads are as follows: Temperature is 67 degrees F./ 16000 gallon pool. I am using liquid chlorine in my pool.
TA = 60
pH = 7.8
FC= 3.0
CYA = 60
CH - 250
Another question I have is does filling with fresh water increase the TA levels. Temperature here will be getting pretty hot in the near future and the water will be evaporting quicker.

I wouldn't. 60 TA is actually where I keep mine.

Plug your numbers into PoolMath. CSI shows at -.18 if I entered things right. That's just fine. If the water heats up, that number gets even better. You've got a huge margin of safety right now, so don't micromanage.

Your fill water probably has plenty of alkalinity. And CH. Mine does. Test it and be sure. I know when I add two inches of water, I need to add a quart of acid. But that's just my water. My CH also increases about 25/week in the worst of the heat. Hopefully your fill water isn't quite so hard.

What you DO need to deal with before the water gets much warmer is the FC level. If you have 60 CYA, you shouldn't let FC dip below 5. I'd target 7 or 8 for the a few days and see how much you lose and then adjust your target up or down. As the water gets warmer and the sunlight gets stronger and longer, the daily FC losses will go up.

Nicki,

As long as your TA is 50 or above, I would not adjust it..

I would though, look at this chart... FC/CYA Levels

With a CYA of 60, your FC goal should be about 8 with a minimum of 5.. Your FC is 3 which means you should buy a sign that says "Algae Party this weekend"... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.