Pool water not perfect

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Been using TFP method for over 8 years. 9500 gallons, FC and PH and Alkalinity and CH all within range but due to our hot summers, splash out (two swimming dogs) and monsoon rains I keep the CYA at 60-65 in the summer and let it drift down over winter. A few months ago I got tired of the dog hair and sand from the dogs paws and finally got a robotic vacuum (Pentair Warrior SI). I love it. My popup system wasn't taking care of the accumulation of sand and hair that floated to the bottom each night. Running a full cycle with the robot every other day keeps it clean! Never had algae, even when my CYA was over 250 when I first joined TFP, just kept pumping in chlorine tabs until I knew better. Cartridge filter is clean.

Finally, here's the question. At night, when I turn the pool light on I still see some cloudiness and what looks like very thin and small hair which seem almost clear, only can see with the reflection of the light. Dogs are 95% black haired. And this is a lotof tiny strands, just floating, never seem to float to the bottom. Any ideas? Do I need to use a clarifier (or something else) and see what precipitates out? I am not generally a fan adding anything but liquid chlorine and muriatic acid as needed. Or just run my pump more often? I forget the exact number of hours I run it but exact but let's assume 10-12 hours per day, half 2600 rpm for skimming and half at 1500 rpm for filtering. ISome adjustment to time and speed needed.

TIA, I know this is too long but wanted to present as much info as possible.

Last edited:
at 1500 it does not skim the pool very well? 2600 is up there but I would think 1500 would skim just fine... Have you tried running 1500 rpm 24/7 and see what that does... maybe try it for this week and see how it looks.. :)

Ahh, you have the pop up cleaners and probably no way to not use them.. That means you have a main drain that is also open.. that is why you are not getting good skimming at 1500 rpm.. Do you have any normal returns or just the popups?

Yes, two main drains in the deep end of the pool and one skimmer weir. I may be able to divert around the pop ups with some of the jandy valves. By normal returns you mean the nozzle type returns on the side of the pool to foster skimming by creating circulation? Yes, three of them.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I wonder if it would skim better with the main drain 80 or 90% closed... I just do not know what that will do to your pop up cleaning...

I will in a few days, got some things going on. In the meantime started running pump 24/7 at 1525 RPM, like 820 watts per the display. Thanks
820 watts is excessive for 1525rpm. I just bumped mine to 1500 and it reports 232 watts. Perhaps something else is going on or there is a variable I’m missing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.