Pool water is above skimmer line

TimRock

May 4, 2019
Tampa
Not sure if this is the correct category, but for the past few days my pool has been a little above the skimmer line. Is this ok? How can i get it back to normal (it was usually up to midway of the skimmer.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
As long as pool water is not above the top of the skimmer I would let evaporation lower the water. That way you don’t lose any CYA or salt in draining.

Reactions: TimRock

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
As long as you dont have heavy rains in the short-term forecast, evaporation MAY get you back to normal in a week or less. You can also jump in and splash it up!

I recently went to add a half inch of water to my pool and fell asleep. Whoops. The water was at the top of the skimmer box. It took 6 days before the water was below the skimmer opening again.

You can use a cheap pump to lower the water level. While your skimming capabilities will be non-existent until the water recedes, otherwise, your pool will be ok. I just had to use the net more.

Reactions: TimRock

TimRock

May 4, 2019
Tampa
thanks for the replies. We did get a lot of rain last week (i'm in Tampa), but it hasn't rained in a few days so now, so i just wanted to make sure i was in good shape.

SBall

Jun 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
I keep our water level at the top of the skimmer opening, only about 3" of liner shows above the water line. The only drawback is that surface debris (leaves, grass) aren't sucked into the skimmer as efficiently, but I am ok with that.

youmyboyblue

Jul 12, 2019
Ann Arbor, Michigan
You can also siphon the water down if you don't have a pump. Put a garden hose in the pool, hold it under water until the hose is filled, then pull one end out and it should start siphoning.