pool wall is now out of track after major freeze (UPDATE WITH NEW PICS)

caddylover

May 1, 2020
canada
After this wicked freeze i noticed that the 1/4" down that i put around the edges of the pool has pulled away from the pool and i now have a 2" gap between pool wall and the 1/4" rock. I look down into the gap and my pool wall is completely out of the track around half the pool. I'm freaking out! What can i do? Will this go back into place when it starts to thaw?

Last edited:
I am a complete novice when it comes to winter, ice, freezing. Just doesn’t happen in FL. I don’t think there is anything you can do while it is frozen, and honestly I think it would be a miracle if it went back into the track when it thaws.

@Leebo, any help here?

I look down into the gap and my pool wall is completely out of the track around half the pool
This worries me. Coming out 8 inches is one thing. Half the track ?? Eek. I’ll be rooting for you for sure.

Can you get some pics ? I’ll call in some more AG folks. I’ve only had mine a few months. @woodyp. @zea3. @Casey @Teald024 and @jseyfert3. (He has an Intex but is smart as a whip).

here's some photos. i keep going over how i installed it and i don't think i made a mistake. I was about 3/4" off on level, which IMO is really good on a 21' pool

Attachments

• IMG_4135.JPG
    IMG_4135.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4133.JPG
    IMG_4133.JPG
    578.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4132.JPG
    IMG_4132.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 81
That’s a lot better than what I was imagining. Pic 3 looks like it’s still in the track and it shifted as one. In theory that would help greatly if they slowly went back as one when the pool thaws.

To me the only issue would be if it ‘popped’ in one instantaneous shot when the time comes. It could land in the right spot as one or it could blow apart from the pop.

There is nothing you can do right now so we have some time for the others to chime in with their thoughts. Hang in there.

i am going to get some of the snow off the cover today. i'll wade on in and shovel. :) I cannot for the life of me figure out how this happened. i can reach into the gap and put my fingers up and under the wall and feel the liner. Water is frozen all the way down from what i can tell.
The worst part is that i can't do anything about it and have to hope and pray that it somehow, SOMEHOW works it's way down into the track again. I'll have to get an air compressor and blow out the rock in the track as well. What a PITA.

I think as the thick ice expanded outwards at the very top it ‘see-sawed’ the bottom inwards. Ice expands up much more than out but it does apply some outward pressure too.

With any luck it will see-saw back slowly. 🤞

Reactions: caddylover

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately right now, there is nothing you can do but monitor the situation. Wait for the big thaw and see what it does as it thaws. Your worst case scenario is draining the pool and reinstalling the track. That's a complete re do. Then you're going to have to either work hard at refitting the liner or buying a new liner. I'd have a new liner on hand for when this takes place because pool parts are scarce right now because of covid.

the pool was drained to 6-8" below skimmer which also put it about 1-2" below return jet. I used a pillow, but it deflated which was SUPER disappointing. So it's been flat pretty much since November. I shovelled the pool a few days ago as we are now in plus temps after that major deep freeze and i wanted to get a jump on any heavy snow that would result in this. there was about 18-24" of snow on the cover itself. The cover is not tight to the posts, it has some freedom to it just in case it wanted to pull into the pool from the weight.

Disturbing a pool with ice on the water can damage the liner. The edges of ice can be sharp and rip the liner. Best if you leave the pool alone until it thaws.

UPDATE:

now that we are thawing out, here's where we are at with the pool wall. It is starting to bend slightly at the bottom rail. It's still out of the rail. The gap is about and 1" from the support. This is the only support that is having this issue. Pics attached. There is still ice at the top of the pool, but i would surmise maybe a foot or less left based on slight bangs on the outside wall to see where it's sounds solid or not.

Attachments

• IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4190.JPG
    IMG_4190.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 23
Once the ice has fully melted measure how off level the water level is around the pool.

Monitor the measurements and see if the pool moves further off level as the ground softens.

okay, not sure if this is the end of the world or not, but i do know it should be addressed. i had an installer tell me that he had a customer that had this for 5 years and didn't move after the initial settling of the ground. i guess we'll see. I am HOPING to get a liner in from the pool company. He's not sure if they'll get their full compliment of the order. I was proactive in February based on what some installers were saying and prepaid for it so it's mine no matter what. They are literally like gold right now so hoping that i can possibly get this done mid to end of May depending on liner availability.

Gently get that debris out of there. Looks like some pebbles might get pinched between the wall and post of it does snap back. That would suuuuuuuuuuuck if it fixed itself and punched holes in the wall.

I'm going to say that this is a direct result of frost heave. It wont fix itself. With the weight of the water, the wall is probably indefinitely bent in that area. You can bend it back but that would involve a complete tear down, bending the wall back into a normal position and reinstalling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.