Pool vacuum loses suction after a few minutes..

Salpal

Jul 28, 2017
Tresckow, PA
Hey!

Late last year, I started to notice my standard pool vacuum would lose suction after a few minutes. The only way around this was to shut off the pump, fill the pump tank with water, and turn the pump back on.... And hurry up before it lost suction again.

Around this same time, I noticed a crack in the bottom of the skimmer basket so my assumption was that had something to do with it. I patched the crack but the problem never went away.

Fast forward to today, the problem still exists. I replaced the entire skimmer basket. I checked the the plumbing for leaks, and even disconnected the unions and retightened. Nothing worked.

If i run the pump without the vacuum, everything is fine. Good pressure, pump tank stays full. It will run for hours without issue.
Once the vacuum is attached to the skimmer basket, the problems begin.

One other note is that everything seems good until I start vacuuming with it. When it starts picking up debris, things go south.

Could this simply be a hole in the vacuum hose? I ran water through it yesterday and didn't see any leaks.

What about the pump tank lid? Could air be getting in that way?

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Is your pump basket filling with air when it looses suction? I was searching reviews for a new pool vacuum hose and saw several comments about leaks in the hose at the junction of the hose and the female connector (just before you plug the hose into the skimmer plate adapter) - especially if this is sticking above the water in the skimmer. Just a thought of another place to trouble shoot. To check this you could remove the basket from the skimmer, attach the hose to the pipe in the bottom of the skimmer thus ensuring your hose end piece is completely under water and try suctioning temporarily.

Is your pump basket filling with air when it looses suction? I was searching reviews for a new pool vacuum hose and saw several comments about leaks in the hose at the junction of the hose and the female connector (just before you plug the hose into the skimmer plate adapter) - especially if this is sticking above the water in the skimmer. Just a thought of another place to trouble shoot. To check this you could remove the basket from the skimmer, attach the hose to the pipe in the bottom of the skimmer thus ensuring your hose end piece is completely under water and try suctioning temporarily.

Yes. The pink basket is filling with air when this happens.

I'll try what you suggested and go from there.
I might just buy a new hose regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.