Jun 10, 2012
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All.

I have to replace an area of tile around the top of my attached hot tub (above the water). Do I have to use special pool tile or can I use big box store ceramic/glass? This area would get wet (splashing/rain etc) but is not submerged. Any thoughts would be helpful. Not so much looking to save money as I am looking to get the materials sooner/easier.

TIA

MAPR-Austin

In The Industry
Feb 23, 2021
Kansas City, MO
If you are in an area where the temperature drops below freezing in the winter, make sure that the tile is 'frost-proof'.

Make sure that the thinset and grout you use are suitable for immersion (even though the area won't be 'underwater').

Aside from that, I think you will be fine using any almost kind of ceramic/glass tile.

Disclaimer: I only install tile made specifically for pools, but as far as I know the above is accurate.

Duxdweller

Jun 10, 2012
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If you are in an area where the temperature drops below freezing in the winter, make sure that the tile is 'frost-proof'.

Make sure that the thinset and grout you use are suitable for immersion (even though the area won't be 'underwater').

Aside from that, I think you will be fine using any almost kind of ceramic/glass tile.

Disclaimer: I only install tile made specifically for pools, but as far as I know the above is accurate.
Thank you! I located tile which claims to be "outdoor" tile - Will verify that it is frost-proof. I assume that the thinset needs to be pool specific (not just the type I would use on an indoor shower installation?)

MAPR-Austin

In The Industry
Feb 23, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Thank you! I located tile which claims to be "outdoor" tile - Will verify that it is frost-proof. I assume that the thinset needs to be pool specific (not just the type I would use on an indoor shower installation?)
Right, you will want one that is specifically rated for immersion. I use Laticrete Platinum 254 or Laticrete 255 Multimax. The 255 is apparently the new hotness.

Reactions: Duxdweller
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread