Jun 10, 2012
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All.

I have to replace an area of tile around the top of my attached hot tub (above the water). Do I have to use special pool tile or can I use big box store ceramic/glass? This area would get wet (splashing/rain etc) but is not submerged. Any thoughts would be helpful. Not so much looking to save money as I am looking to get the materials sooner/easier.

TIA

If you are in an area where the temperature drops below freezing in the winter, make sure that the tile is 'frost-proof'.

Make sure that the thinset and grout you use are suitable for immersion (even though the area won't be 'underwater').

Aside from that, I think you will be fine using any almost kind of ceramic/glass tile.

Disclaimer: I only install tile made specifically for pools, but as far as I know the above is accurate.

If you are in an area where the temperature drops below freezing in the winter, make sure that the tile is 'frost-proof'.

Make sure that the thinset and grout you use are suitable for immersion (even though the area won't be 'underwater').

Aside from that, I think you will be fine using any almost kind of ceramic/glass tile.

Disclaimer: I only install tile made specifically for pools, but as far as I know the above is accurate.
Thank you! I located tile which claims to be "outdoor" tile - Will verify that it is frost-proof. I assume that the thinset needs to be pool specific (not just the type I would use on an indoor shower installation?)

Thank you! I located tile which claims to be "outdoor" tile - Will verify that it is frost-proof. I assume that the thinset needs to be pool specific (not just the type I would use on an indoor shower installation?)
Right, you will want one that is specifically rated for immersion. I use Laticrete Platinum 254 or Laticrete 255 Multimax. The 255 is apparently the new hotness.

Reactions: Duxdweller
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.