Pool this year, Apache Junction (It’s a wrap)

livinwell

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Apache Junction, AZ
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Owner builder - Starting again after 5 years away. Job changes had us working/living apart, after buying our home here in Apache Junction in 2012. We've completed the preliminary work, retaining wall, fill and grade. Now on to OB with BYOP. Using BYOP because we decided to go with them in 2013, after receiving a number of bids that were very high and the builders all wanted to take us away from the simplistic pool we wanted to something more grand and more expensive. BYOP remembered us and were very nice about not having us pay today's rates, for what we had already purchased in 2013 and never used.

img_5959-jpeg.94971

Hubby decided that he would dig the pool, by hand, over the years that I was working out of state, so here's a few pictures from that journey. This spanned several years because he also worked full time. It was really an excuse to play in the dirt, he loves the outdoors.

All of the rocks were dug out by hand and used to build up a barrier. :)An engineer by design who swears by the "simple tool". There's a wash that runs within the property when we have a heavy rain over a short period of time.
IMG_5976.JPEG

When we were finally both finally here for good and started talking to pool builders, the first thing they said was "stop digging!". "It's better if you fill and grade to patio level and then dig the pool out. hahaha

IMG_8342.JPEG

We removed the temporary retaining wall he'd built, great exercise and I now have my own, 3 wheel, wheel barrow. We had the professionals install the permanent walls at the end of last year.

IMG_8852.JPEG

IMG_9414.JPG

And now, the area is filled and we have our compaction rate certified, so we're ready to move forward. Below is the job site.

IMG_9532.JPEG

Here's the plan we're working with to submit for permit soon. My only wants are size 20X44, rectangle, baja shelf that will be on the west end so I can have the view of the Superstitions. I want to retain as much of the natural landscape and not hardscape a lot of the area. I'd really like to find some large stepping stones instead of having a uniformed surface. All Pentair stuff except for the heat pump and will add a propane heater later. Any suggestions, workmen referrals are greatly appreciated.

Editted_pool_drawing_redacted.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5959.JPEG
    IMG_5959.JPEG
    736.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • IMG_9531.JPEG
    IMG_9531.JPEG
    603.1 KB · Views: 26
L,

Thanks for posting some great pics..

I could not help but see the "UV Sterilizer"... Really? You've been a member since 2007 and still believe in the UV myth???

I suggest you go with a saltwater pool and eliminate any UV or OZone devices which will not sanitize your pool water.

I agree with Pat.. What a view!!... I also have great view... of the side of my neighbor's house... :(

Thanks again for posting,

Jim R.

Alright, another pool to go see when I’m over there checking out @Don_TLR his pool. Ohhh Gene, @proavia gas up the buggy my man, we got our summer planned!!! :laughblue:

Livinwell, in all seriousness, check out one of our members build in AJ he just got completed. Thread
I’ve pinged him to come over, so I’m sure if you need any advice, he’ll be glad to help. :cheers:

~Rob

L,

Thanks for posting some great pics..

I could not help but see the "UV Sterilizer"... Really? You've been a member since 2007 and still believe in the UV myth???

I suggest you go with a saltwater pool and eliminate any UV or OZone devices which will not sanitize your pool water.

I agree with Pat.. What a view!!... I also have great view... of the side of my neighbor's house... :(

Thanks again for posting,

Jim R.
I'm with you Jim, we are going salt. I had a pool remodel back in CA when I joined TFP and read everything then about the pros and cons. Funny, I overlooked the UV. and will fix that. Thanks for calling it out.

Alright, another pool to go see when I’m over there checking out @Don_TLR his pool. Ohhh Gene, @proavia gas up the buggy my man, we got our summer planned!!! :laughblue:

Livinwell, in all seriousness, check out one of our members build in AJ he just got completed. Thread
I’ve pinged him to come over, so I’m sure if you need any advice, he’ll be glad to help. :cheers:

~Rob
Great idea! I read Don's thread a while back. I'll have to check it out.

Dig a hole then fill it back in!!! LOL what a way to start! He did get a start on it but at that rate y'all would be swimming in sweat more than water!

So talk to me more about the "compaction rate certified". How did they look at it? How often? What were they looking for? This is new to me and I love to learn new things!!

How many trucks of dirt did it take to fill that area up? Who did you use to level it? I would start with asking THEM for who they would use for each part of the pool build. Most people in the trades tend to know each other as they all seem to end up working together every once in a while. They may be able to tell you who to stay away from as well.

That view! That view is worth it all!! I like your design and idea of making sure the view is the focal point!

Kim:kim:

I've got some good subs if you want to take a look to see their work. I'm trying to figure out where you're located from that view..
That's a heck of a way to start, digging and filling back in, but hey you collected a few rocks because we have a shortage out here :D

I've got some good subs if you want to take a look to see their work. I'm trying to figure out where you're located from that view..
That's a heck of a way to start, digging and filling back in, but hey you collected a few rocks because we have a shortage out here :D

Don, We’d love any recommendations and lessons learned. Your build is amazing!

Well, after waiting forever, to find a geotechnical engineer who would come to a residential site in AJ, we finally got the report Pinal County wanted. We don’t have to do any major work to ensure we aren’t impacted by the 100 year storm. A little shoring up on the pool side, by using a short wall (Need Travis again) and layering the base of the wash with rocks and pavers we already had.

Hopefully we’ll get the permit approved in a few weeks. Jeez, we may be swimming before the season ends. ?

Attachments

• DC35D6B3-78B3-4942-A2EB-5DAFF4431084.jpeg
    DC35D6B3-78B3-4942-A2EB-5DAFF4431084.jpeg
    749.4 KB · Views: 48
  • C613436D-C7D4-4946-943F-CBBA4F608893.jpeg
    C613436D-C7D4-4946-943F-CBBA4F608893.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Arizonarob
Dig a hole then fill it back in!!! LOL what a way to start! He did get a start on it but at that rate y'all would be swimming in sweat more than water!

So talk to me more about the "compaction rate certified". How did they look at it? How often? What were they looking for? This is new to me and I love to learn new things!!

How many trucks of dirt did it take to fill that area up? Who did you use to level it? I would start with asking THEM for who they would use for each part of the pool build. Most people in the trades tend to know each other as they all seem to end up working together every once in a while. They may be able to tell you who to stay away from as well.

That view! That view is worth it all!! I like your design and idea of making sure the view is the focal point!

Hi Kim, sorry it took so long to catch up. Work travel and overall delays. They used about 40 yds of fill and set compaction at a minimum 95%. Hubby said it was basically a fill and tamp process. Afterward we had to get an inspector out to certify the compaction rate. They came out and drilled a couple of holes and took samples of the fill back to the lab, and poof, we got a report that said it was slightly better at 97 and 98%. I read up on the process at the time to make sure I was hearing correct speak from the folks who bid on doing the test. I didn't retain enough to speak intelligently about it. I’m at the age now where I have to move unnecessary matter from my brain in order to retain what I more frequently need. ?

We hope to get final go on the permit this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're using Travis from Rigid for the Walls? Nice to see some progress going forward.
We did for the retaining walls surrounding the fill area. We were going to call him back for a small walk on each side of the wash but the engineer said it doesn’t need rebar, so Jeff is digging and pouring the concrete this week.

We are east of Prospectors below Mining Camp. Are you close?

Reactions: butchcassidy
We did for the retaining walls surrounding the fill area. We were going to call him back for a small walk on each side of the wash but the engineer said it doesn’t need rebar, so Jeff is digging and pouring the concrete this week.

We are east of Prospectors below Mining Camp. Are you close?
Just a few houses down on the east side of Bell, neighbor.. Would enjoy meeting, pop up to see your build or stop down.

It looks like I’ll have a pool built in time to not use it.? at least here in AZ, there are only a few months where that may be the case. Work causes me to travel internationally quite a bit and hubby has never had a pool, so wants to make sure I’m involved.

After retaining walls were in and we were talking about fencing, we decided to have Travis build up the retaining wall to fence the outer property and not have a fence close around the pool. Excavation held up to get the wall in place.

Now, with the wall in place, we see that we have a little too much pool. Modifying the size on the attached so will probably end up 18 x 42 or 44. They’ll do the layout late next week but then we have two week vacation planned. Excavation is booked to start Labor Day week.

Attachments

• 1EC127E2-93F7-41EC-BF81-9DDA12937CC6.jpeg
    1EC127E2-93F7-41EC-BF81-9DDA12937CC6.jpeg
    826.8 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Arizonarob
I may have to rename this thread to longest pool build yet. However, It's beginning to look like it's gonna happen!:D

I really need your advice/suggestions about the proposed equipment list and I've included the updated drawing. I'll create our signature after we have the equipment locked. We plan to add a propane heater that is not on the list (Gulfstream). Excavation is scheduled for 9/3 and we're told to get the equipment ordered now. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Suggested pool equipment.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 36
  • POOL PLAN, GILBERT 2019-08-20.pdf
    398.2 KB · Views: 29
I would ask for a poured equipment pad. You want plenty of room so you don't have to play twister to work on anything. Make sure to get a light put in over the the pad as well.

Now lets talk about the 5' depth. It is too deep for most females to stand (I am 5'5" and the water would hit me about my mouth region). If you went with 4'5" then just about every adult could walk the whole pool. Just something to think about.

I do LOVE your shape and extras like the shelf with all of the seating aka stairs! The bench n the other side is neat too!

Reactions: blb0663

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.