Pool this year, Apache Junction

livinwell

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Apache Junction, AZ
Good job on the tarps. I suspect you saved yourself some work digging it back out. Not too bad for erosion, though also not a fun task. I presume the digging out will be by the two of you?
Thanks. We left town for a few days right after the rain. Shotcrete is tomorrow, delayed a couple days but that was all. The foreman stopped by while we were out of town to get a status and said we look good. They'll fix up and add more shotcrete to fill in where they have to. I know that may mean a little more money, but I'm happy to have them handle it.

I'll be acting like a child waiting for Christmas tonight.:whoot:

livinwell

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Apache Junction, AZ
Shotcrete application has started. We had a delay again on Wednesday, but we’re good to go now. I'll post completion later. They said it will only take a day to shoot the shotcrete. Our design is simple, just the shelf and a seat on the other end.

Any tips to share about what "good" looks like when they're done, please post.

Attachments

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
There may be some small lumps and bumps but nothing big. Water it at least 2 times a day help it cure slower. There may be some small cracks. That is okay so long as they are not bigger than a dime.

proavia

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Feb 6, 2015
Chandler AZ
Here in the desert where its very dry - low humidity - 3 to 4 times a day is better. My PB had me do it for 14 days. And not just sprinkling it with water - the PB wanted me to soak it... allowing the water to almost run down the walls from an open ended hose.

Watering it slows the curing process and creates a stronger shell. It's done when they tell you to stop water or 14 days.

livinwell

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Apache Junction, AZ
Checking in with an update - day 3 of watering and hubby is doing 3-4 times a day by himself, to spare me from being eaten alive by the no-see-ums that are plentiful. I’m taking pictures each time he goes out 1) because it’s fun to document but 2) as proof that we did not let it sit and dry out, should we run into a problem later. Here he is in his noseeum body armor.

2A1BE7D5-4F30-40DC-8EE6-CDC0FE3C1B9C.jpeg

Also to ensure we have periodic events to report, the plumber will have to return. The crew who is building the masonry wall for the sheer descents says the plumbing is 1) off in spacing and 2) not set back enough to come up through the rear bricks. We novice, didn’t have that spelled out in the drawing. If you zoom in on the daylight picture you’ll see the pvc poking up through the front rowA54A0225-3411-4149-8D93-AED4D8DE04DA.jpeg

livinwell

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Apache Junction, AZ
Why not make that wall lower...8’ is a monster wall, won’t it obstruct the natural background?
Yes, lesser of the evils. I didn’t want a fence close in, right around the pool so we went with a wider exterior fencing. We have to fill to the bottom of the column, behind the sheer wall, to get level with the pool deck so it won’t be a visible 8ft. The columns are 5’4” and will have the required 5ft fencing between the columns. We wanted to break up the look of the wrought iron fence or I did and hubby practiced happy wife routine. 😂 We’re deciding on how we’ll cover the ugly gray bricks.