Pool testing for the color impaired

F3506

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Grandview, TX
Kids are supposed to be taking care of the pool, but don't have, or won't put forth the effort to test more than maybe once per week. They also don't seem to grasp the importance of trying to understand what to add and when, other that what a quick youtube video might say.

So as the one buying the chemicals, I'm trying to get more involved in this myself, but have some issues seeing colors, which makes testing difficult. I can see on a test strip when it's off the charts out of whack. As it gets closer to being in line, I can no longer tell the difference. The drop kit seems to change too gradually for me to understand when things are correct.

There seems to be an issue last year and this year with high PH. Last year they somehow got it with PH high off the top end and alkalinity low off the bottom end. Pump out half the pool was the fix there.

Currently pool is a bit cloudy. PH and alkalinity were hight so I've added acid and gotten it close (I think). Still working through this. Can anyone recommend a way to test this stuff for someone who can't differentiate the colors when they get close together? I've seen clorox test strips that has an app where you use your phone to read the strips. Is that a realistic option? Amazon shows several chemical testers that do it all for you with a digital read out, but they're several hundred dollars.

One more question. How do you tell if chlorine is stabilized or not? Trying to keep stabilizer low if possible. Right now it seems good. Does all granule chlorine have stabilizer, or just some? What about the liquid stuff? Currently liquid chlorine (10%) sells for $2.49 per gallon at Atwoods. $3.84 at Wally World. Clorox is higher and a lower percent. Granules are available everywhere and sometimes easier to store, plus the buckets with screw on lids come in handy for other stuff when empty.

One more question. How do you tell if chlorine is stabilized or not? Trying to keep stabilizer low if possible. Right now it seems good. Does all granule chlorine have stabilizer, or just some? What about the liquid stuff? Currently liquid chlorine (10%) sells for $2.49 per gallon at Atwoods. $3.84 at Wally World. Clorox is higher and a lower percent. Granules are available everywhere and sometimes easier to store, plus the buckets with screw on lids come in handy for other stuff when empty.

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

In it's natural state, chlorine is a gas. Many large commercial pools actually use gas injection systems to chlorinate their pools. Now, to change chlorine into something we can use at home it needs to be chemically bound to something to turn it into a solid. The "somethings" that are commonly used are stabilizer (also known as CYA), calcium, lithium, or --- get this water. All of these add a little salt to your water, but they add something else.

Cal-Hypo add calcium,

Tri-Chlor and Di-Chlor (tabs and most granules) add stabilizer,

Lithium hypochlorite adds lithium

liquid chlorine adds - water.

All of these things can be bad for your pool (except the water) in large quantities. The stabilizer helps shield the chlorine from UV degradation, but at higher levels it also impairs the ability of chlorine to do it's work. The higher the stabilizer level you have the higher the amount of chlorine you need. Too much calcium and you start to get scaling on the walls and floors of your pool.

No suggestions on how to test the water for the color impaired?

For PH you can buy a PH meter pH Meter or Waterproof Pocket pH Tester with 0.1 Resolution - pHep® - HI98107 - Hanna Instruments

If using a PH meter you need to maintain it and calibrate it at least monthly using a standard solution. R-7062 pH Standard 7.2 (2 ounces) or Calibration Bundle for Testers, pH 4 7 - HI547-11T - Hanna Instruments This gives explains use and care of a PH meter http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wphmeter.pdf

CYA testing is just seeing when a black dot disappears. No colors needed.

I see YouTube videos about PH Meters and Chlorine Meters. I have no idea about how to do a TA test without color.

Can’t one of the kids at least help you that much? To take a quick glance and tell you what stage it is at?

Can’t one of the kids at least help you that much? To take a quick glance and tell you what stage it is at?

That was the idea from the beginning, but it doesn't seem to work out that way. Son in law will do it about once a week, the day before their kids want to swim, then just start dumping chemicals in. Daughter doesn't, or can't see the difference in anything but chlorine. That's all she ever looks at or sees. She always says all the other stuff is fine, even when it's not even close.

Tackling PH seems to be our biggest hurdle, and unfortunately you've got to be able to see colors well enough to do this from what I've found.

I used the clorox pool test strips and app today. It says PH is 6.8 and alkalinity is 180. We had this issue last year too except alkalinity was off the charts on the top end. Aeration didn't seem to help. Currently going to raise PH to at least 7.2 and see where all the numbers are and how the water looks and will proceed from there. I'm trying borax to raise the ph and help clear things up. I guess we'll see.

No suggestions on how to test the water for the color impaired?

I'll chime in on this one as I had the same issue.

I opted to get a kit that is not always as highly regarded as the recommended kits here, but has served me well for a few seasons. I use the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 which is a digital reader with liquid reagents. The drops do change the water color, but the meter reads it. I just take down the numbers from the digital read out. It is easier to use and faster than the other kits, but it may be slightly less accurate. I have found it to work great for me as I have had no issues at all in both my pool and spa. Not sure about the rest of this forum, but I highly recommend it. Especially for color vision issues.

First and most importantly,
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

My suggestion would be watch the following video. In this video you’ll see a closeup of the FAS/DPD Test being done. Before spending the extra cash for a fancy kit, see if you can make out the colors in this video........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. Yes, I can see the color change in the chlorine test. PH is still a problem though. I haven't seen a video on the TF kit, but did watch a video on the Taylor kit for PH and I'm going to have trouble there.

I don't remember the test we tried last year that it seemed like it took forever for anything to change colors, and then did so only gradually, but that was with a cheaper kit.

PH is still match the color to the chart, right?

Every test with the TF 100 EXCEPT ph, you don’t actually have to be able to see what the color is, you just have to be able to tell when it changes. You should be able to differentiate colors enough to do this. For example, if I put a blue ball and a red ball in front of you, you wouldn’t be able to tell me what color each is with certainty, but you would be able to tell me that they are different colors.

You can can get a pH meter for that test that requires color comparison, but all the rest, you need to be able to see only a change in color, not match colors.

Every test with the TF 100 EXCEPT ph, you don’t actually have to be able to see what the color is, you just have to be able to tell when it changes.

CYA test does not rely on a color change. Just see or not see a black dot.

There are CL meters, but they are expensive.

Only color test that I don't know a substitute for is TA.

What type of pool do you have??? Plaster or vinyl liner? If it's plaster then you'll see a noticeable change in the pH......vinyl however tends to be more forgiving. TfTestkits also sells a pH digital pH meter that won't break your bank. I personally still "spot check" it from time to time, and I encourage you to do the same, but it works rather well.
pH Meter

Here is the pH test being preformed. You'll look at the red one on the right.........

Any experience with that one? I've been looking online at others. Most seem to have mixed reviews. I'm hoping between something like that and the TF100 kit I can make this work.

You asking about the PH meter I posted? I have it on order along with calibrating solutions.

I have been using this pH Meter for about 2 months and find it as reliable as drop tests. You have to calibrate a PH meter periodically, said to be monthly. and keep it clean. Otherwise over time the readings can drift. They are not very expensive to give a try.

995.jpg

What type of pool do you have??? Plaster or vinyl liner? If it's plaster then you'll see a noticeable change in the pH......vinyl however tends to be more forgiving. TfTestkits also sells a pH digital pH meter that won't break your bank. I personally still "spot check" it from time to time, and I encourage you to do the same, but it works rather well.
pH Meter

Here is the pH test being preformed. You'll look at the red one on the right.........

Plaster pool. I"ll update my sig.

I didn't like that video at all. Couldn't see the difference in either side. Top 3 boxes on each side are the exact same color, with the 4th getting real close. Couldn't match the liquid to anything (technically, I could match the liquid to almost everything, which is just as bad)

- - - Updated - - -

You asking about the PH meter I posted? I have it on order along with calibrating solutions.

I have been using this pH Meter for about 2 months and find it as reliable as drop tests. You have to calibrate a PH meter periodically, said to be monthly. and keep it clean. Otherwise over time the readings can drift. They are not very expensive to give a try.

View attachment 80956

Yes. Any recommendations on specific brands would be appreciated. I don't want to buy some piece of junk that costs about the same as a good one. And I've read about the calibration. That sounds simple enough.

Yes. Any recommendations on specific brands would be appreciated. I don't want to buy some piece of junk that costs about the same as a good one. And I've read about the calibration. That sounds simple enough.

http://tftestkits.net/pH-Meter-p95.html for $15. Cheap, China made, but seems to work.

https://hannainst.com/hi98107-phep-ph-tester.html for $40 from a reputable laboratory instrument company.

I can't say yet that one is better then the other.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wphmeter.pdf for instructions on PH meter care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.