Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
How do you actually perform your tests? Not the kit, but the drawing of water, rinsing the tubes, etc...
I get a bucket of water from the pool, then dip a cup out to use for all my tests. I pour into the tubes from the cup. After each test I dump into another "dump" bucket, then rinse (pour/fill/dump, pour/fill/dump) from the "pool" bucket, then pour another sample from the cup. After I'm done with all the tests, I rinse the tubes out in the "pool" bucket, then dump all the extra water into the "dump" bucket, and dump it out in the yard.
I prefer to do everything on one of the picnic tables we have by the pool.

What's your method?

I grabbed one of those measured squeeze bottles (like those refillable ketchup/mustard bottles) from the dollar store. I put that into the water with the opening facing down so that water doesn't go into the bottle until my arm is elbow deep in the pool. Turn the bottle, let it fill up and that's now used for all my water samples (Total Bromine, PH, and Alk). I fill up each container using the squeeze bottle's nozzle which allows you to get pretty precise.

71BU1zb1jiL._SX425_.jpg

Up until now, I've been doing my measurements in the pool room, but after taking the samples outside and using the sun behind my back and holding it to the sky I can colour match a LOT easier.

Once I'm done, I've been dumping the samples and test amounts into the pool, though. Based on the concentrations that we're using, do you think it matters?

Reactions: Shirker
I have two of these, one labeled pool, the other spa.

I collect my samples, and go to the laundry room where my testing stuff is kept in a dedicated cupboard. Rinse everything in the mop sink. Convenient as most of my pool "chemicals" are kept in the laundry room as well, bleach, Borax, washing soda, etc....

I would not dump the reagents back into the pool. Does your pool need those reagents? ;)
I have read this many, many times but curious as to the *actual* harm of doing so? If I do a full battery of tests, that is about 30'ish drops of reagent (plus how ever much is in the CYA test) in a pool of several thousand gallons of water.

I also test mine in the laundry room, so it all goes down the drain so I am personally not guilty of this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the idea of the squeeze bottle for precision pouring. I want to get a small bucket on a rope so that I'm not down on my knees/up to my elbows collecting the water. I keep our test kit just inside the back door. I like doing the tests outside so that I can look at the colors in good light.

i stole an idea from one of the members around here. 5’ long 1” pvc pipe capped one end. drilled 1/4” hole in the cap. now i have a giant straw. put thumb over hole, stick pipe 2’ into the water, take thumb off hole let’s water in, put thumb back over hole, pull pipe out and put it over a measuring cup sitting on the pool deck and let go of the hole. i have enough water to do all the tests and enough to rinse out everything afterwords

Reactions: proavia and mknauss
i stole an idea from one of the members around here. 5’ long 1” pvc pipe capped one end. drilled 1/4” hole in the cap. now i have a giant straw. put thumb over hole, stick pipe 2’ into the water, take thumb off hole let’s water in, put thumb back over hole, pull pipe out and put it over a measuring cup sitting on the pool deck and let go of the hole. i have enough water to do all the tests and enough to rinse out everything afterwords
Nice!!

Ooooh.

I go out to the pool, take the cap off my squirt bottle (like you put ketchup in), and put it in the water opening down up to my elbow. Then I turn it side ways, let it fill, then cap it underwater. Hobble back in the house, do my testing at the kitchen table. I have good light there.

Rinse my vials out with pool water, do my testing, then dump the finished tests into a Solo cup. Rinse out my vials again with pool water, put everything away, and dump the leftover pool water and mixed tests down the drain with plenty of water.

I haven't made any Cool Tools™ because I have an AGP which is 48" tall. No kneeling on concrete for ME!

Reactions: jmikeb
I go out to the pool, take the cap off my squirt bottle (like you put ketchup in), and put it in the water opening down up to my elbow. Then I turn it side ways, let it fill, then cap it underwater. Hobble back in the house, do my testing at the kitchen table. I have good light there.

Rinse my vials out with pool water, do my testing, then dump the finished tests into a Solo cup. Rinse out my vials again with pool water, put everything away, and dump the leftover pool water and mixed tests down the drain with plenty of water.

I haven't made any Cool Tools™ because I have an AGP which is 48" tall. No kneeling on concrete for ME!
i also got tired of getting my arm wet and dripping all over the place

I am so making the PVC pipe this weekend. Tired of lying on my stomach getting the sleeve of my T shirt wet while filling up my Leslies squeeze bottle (about the only good thing other that cheap chlorine they gave me).

Reactions: jmikeb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.