Pool surrounds - recommended grip levels?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
Hi,

We have purchased grey limestone pavers for our pool surrounds. They are honed at 400 grit, and tumbled. Similar smoothness to the honed travertine that everyone has. Not installed yet.

They are supposedly rated at P4, which technically satisfies Australian standards for “pool surrounds”. I can wet them and incline them up to almost 30 degrees before I begin slipping down them with bare feet.

The problem however is they FEEL quite slippery when wet. They’re not as as grippy as a heavily textured finish like flamed or bush hammered. When I step off wet broom finish concrete onto these wet pavers it feels a lot more slippery.

I laid some of these pavers out, wet them, and let my 1 year old walk on them (whilst holding his arms). He walked successfully mostly, but did slip when changing direction. This is what I’m most concerned about - kids slipping.

I’m considering sand blasting or acid etching to increase grip, but want to make sure it’s really a problem before proceeding.

Has anyone here had problems with smooth travertine/limestone/etc? Am I right to be wary? Or should I trust the salesperson and Standards?

I would not trust my toddlers safety to the say so of a salesperson and some one else's standards. How bad did he slip when changing direction and how steady is he on his feet when turning on non-slippery stuff. Some of the Kindergarten kids I teach can't turn on carpet without falling or running into someone or thing :roll: LOL

His foot slipped out sideways as he was pushing off. Being a toddler he does slip over anyway, but the surface was definitely a contributing factor.

I have decided I am going to acid etch these pavers. A minute in 10:1 HCL gives them a lot more microtexture. If I still want more I'll bush hammer them, or sandblast them.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.