Pool store service techs.... First year closing

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
I put this in the closing forum because I just had my pool closed by my pool builder. First-year closing was free so I figured I'd watch them do it. They did a great job and even helped show me what should be done for next year so I am not complaining about them at all.

My question is this. Why when it comes to water chemistry do they seem to know so little? This is what they do for a living... This is how our conversation went...

Me: I already have the chlorine levels up pretty high so I'm not sure how much you want to add for closing. It is probably already around shock level.
Tech: How high is it?
Me: *Tests water* Looks like about 13PPM right now
Tech: That's way too high!
Me: My CYA is around 30-40 so that is about normal shock levels
Tech: You shouldn't have any CYA in your pool this time of year.
Me: *Blank Stare* mmkay. *Stops talking about water chemistry*

I am in the IT industry and I would be embarrassed in my line of work if I came across a end user that knows more about my job than me.

• Haha
Reactions: borjis
Same folks who work at the pool store. As a seasonal industry in much of the country it is a challenging business. Training is minimal and training comes from vendors who have stuff to sell.

full

Reactions: goody222 and borjis
y question is this. Why when it comes to water chemistry do they seem to know so little? This is what they do for a living... This is how our conversation went...

If the business or Corporate, depending on who you are dealing with trained their employee's to follow the TFP methodology, they would be literally doing nothing. No products or services would be sold either. Unless you are an owner or manager, you are there as a temporary employee, and have no desire to want or try to understand.

Once I went in to confirm the salt level as I misplaced my kit and figured it would show up in the house, in which it eventually did. My salt was low based on what Leslie's told me, but the chlorine production was fine. Her advice was to add "alkalinity up", and I was thinking to myself, has this lady been drinking. What does your TA have to do with salt? On top of this, she only tested for salt, and nothing else. Yikes!

If pool stores followed the TFP method there wouldn't be any pool stores. It is a paradox. They are an industry that creates their own need.

If pool stores followed the TFP method there wouldn't be any pool stores. It is a paradox. They are an industry that creates their own need.
its another dying business model that will probably be blamed on millennials. 10 years ago there was a crop of new pool owners every year that they could fool and rip off for a few years. Now each year more and more people are coming places like here before they build or buy a house with a pool. So the pool stores client base is shrinking quickly.
It stinks because if the bog box pool stores were honest they would do more business in the long run by having 10 times the customers and volume. But they milk each customer until they’ve had enough and rely on next years suckers to keep the scam going.

I can see the headlines already..... Millenials going online first and not blindly trusting Leslies is killing the industry.

Do not kid yourself, there are thousands of pools built every year by owners who want to know zero about running their pools. I have tons of clients that are lucky to know their pool contains water. I run my business model similar to TFP methodology with modifications for those clients that use pucks. BTW, I also match any advertised price but installation and warranties are extra. Pool businesses have shown increases every year for the last 20. Not everyone is a DIYer.

Pool businesses have shown increases every year for the last 20. Not everyone is a DIYer
In hindsight I wasn’t factoring in how each generation is doing less than the one before. Most kids today don’t even cut the grass cuz the landscapers do it. The trades will only make more and more money as less people have a clue about plumbing/electric/construction etc.

I’m 43 and I have many friends who will gladly go to work for 5 hours to be able to afford to pay somebody skilled to do it for them in 45 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.