Pool store salt tests?

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
I understand that most (all?) basic water parameter tests from the pool store are not to be tested, I wondered if they booger up salt tests as well? Considering adding salt for feel (and eventually a SWG......)

not sure I want to, or need to buy my own salt test yet if I’m not trying to stay in SWG parameters. Opinions?

Or can/should I just assume initially salt will be 0? Only salt source so far is chlorine.

You need to test your water for salt.. A pool store is probably fine if you are just adding salt for feel. I wouldn't use them if I was setting up an SWG, Get the K-1766 test kit. Or some salt strips, if you are just going for feel. If you have been chlorinating with LC.. it likely already has a bunch of salt. The members that like the salt feel usually put in about 2000ppm. You can't even taste it at that salinity

Last edited:
You will probably be close to 1000ppm just from a few years of chlorine. If you are going for just the feel, the exact amount won't really matter if they are off by 600 ppm at the pool store. Save your $30 and let them test it for your start point. You'll only need 1 test. *Puts on flame suit*

You will probably be close to 1000ppm just from a few years of chlorine. If you are going for just the feel, the exact amount won't really matter if they are off by 600 ppm at the pool store. Save your $30 and let them test it for your start point. You'll only need 1 test. *Puts on flame suit*
Guesstimating I’ve gone through 100 gallons of LC since the pool went up would put me at 1266, less 3 winter drain downs and some splash out/overflow from the rain. I’m guessing maybe 600? That whole “close is good enough” for my purpose is exactly what I was thinking. Plus it might be fun to see how their tests compare and what they try to sell me.

Plus it might be fun to see how their tests compare and what they try to sell me.
'Oh you'd like to add some salt? OK great, step one is Flocculant' :laughblue:
I hit 3k ppm this year for the first time and can taste it. Aim for the low-mid 2ks and you'll get the feel without the taste.

Reactions: JimMarshall
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.