Pool store guy says I don’t have normal return jets...

user_name

Sep 5, 2014
Phx, AZ
Hello all,
I have crappy, old, deteriorating return jets. I broke one trying to adjust it so I figured I’d just replace all 3. Guy at the pool store says that they’re not normal and he’d have to order them. He said they were $14 each because they come with the whole new thing that goes into the wall, which I assume he’s meaning the female part that is already inside my wall. Like a dummy I didn’t ask what they were and just figured I’d look them up. If he had them in stock, I don’t mind paying the convenience fee for a local business, but if he had to order them, I can probably get them cheaper and faster from Amazon.

Anyway, the jets have a small plastic ring (thinner than anything I can find online) with two tabs that are molded into them and stick out. The tabs are what you use to grip when threading them into/out of the port. It’s ~1-3/4 inches wide and it retains the ~1-1/2 eyeball by screwing into the port on the pool wall.

I found a video of a guy replacing return jets made of metal that looked similar to mine and he called the “flush mount” and said they were old. I couldn’t find any info when googling that. He replaced it with a newer style one that has a larger outer ring that retains the eyeball and it screwed right in.

I just need to know what I have exactly and what replacements will work!
Thanks! I’ll try to attach pics. C352F7E5-4619-4A1C-8910-F94E2008DD55.jpeg4EF1C914-8EA8-4D5E-B81F-E567FF20A458.jpeg

RHanna

May 12, 2020
Gallatin, tn
My builder installed something similar last year. I removed the ring with the 2 tabs and the eyeball. My eyeball was sort of stuck in there I believe from the plumber's glue or whatever they used. Once those were both out I screwed the normal return kit where the eyeball was. I couldn't find anything like mine online so I gave it a shot and it worked.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Those are typically used as spa jet eyeballs.

Amazon has a few too:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread