Pool Still Green

Re: Pool Still Green

It would help if you keep all of your information in one thread so we can see exactly what you've been doing and how. From reading your other posts, my suspicion is that you haven't been keeping your chlorine high enough and following through with SLAM.

In one post you reported Getting CYA down from over 100. You drained over 50% of the pool?

Have you read this Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You can get your pool clear by following that to a "T"

FC is 13 now......how often are you checking and bringing it back up to shock level for your CYA?

Yes I've read that and followed it to a T. I have drained the pool over 50%. and refilled gradually and my chlorine stays at about 15 and i bring it back to 15 every morning. I haven't put bleach in since about 1pm because i used my last jug and haven't bought more but chlorine is still at shock level according to CYA/Chlorine chart. when CYA was high i had FC at corresponding levels (so 24-30) depending on CYA was at the time. About 5 days ago i got Cya down to 30 so I've kept FC at 15.

It does take patience to clear a really green pool and running the pump 24/7 and lots of brushing. I'm not sure about the DE filter question. Are you seeing continuous improvement from the start? It helps to take a picture daily looking down at the steps or same spot so you can see your progress.

I only saw improvement from the dark green to where it is now and maybe the slightest bit of improvement near the shallow end steps. Other than that, not really. When should i be concerned its a filter problem? I don't mind continuing to shock for a couple more days but if i don't see any improvement in a couple more days is that a red flag?

SLAMing the pool will always end up with clear water. The more you brush and the more often you test and raise FC to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], the faster the SLAM will go.

Is it normal for my pool to be at shock level for 2+ weeks and still be green? Ill do what you say but how long should i consistently be doing that until i see improvement? Doesn't have to be clear but if I'm doing that for 3-4 days and see no improvement still does that signal a problem with my filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re:  Pool Still Green

Is it normal for my pool to be at shock level for 2+ weeks and still be green? Ill do what you say but how long should i consistently be doing that until i see improvement? Doesn't have to be clear but if I'm doing that for 3-4 days and see no improvement still does that signal a problem with my filter?

Kimkats merged all of your threads and I just was able to read the whole timeline and I have a few questions.

Which test are you using to test your FC?
How often are you testing FC?
Is your pump running 24/7 ?
How often are you brushing?
Have you used a net or leaf rake net to get debris off the bottom?

If you could update us that will help. We certainly don't want you stuck with a green pool.

Re:  Pool Still Green

Im using the Taylor K-2006 Fas-DPD kit i ordered about two weeks ago. I test the FC once in morning and multiple times in the evening depending on the weather. I run my pump 24/7 unless i turn it off a couple hours prior to vacuuming to waste. i brush about 2-3 times a day. and I've used a leaf net and leaf gulper and vacuuming to waste to get about 95% of the debris. My pool is surrounded by pines so i never fully can get everything but i think i have most of it out. I just started vacuuming to waste a couple days ago because i finally learned it bypasses the filter.

The only problem with your filter would be that it is clogged up and the water isn't circulating. We recommend backwashing or cleaning your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure.

Okay i found out yesterday a couple of my grids had rips and they overall just looked old. The top manifold also had a couple cracks on it and the O-ring for the elbow was completely gone for some reason. Ive decided to replace everything and Ill have all the replacements installed by thursday. I think this will solve my problem of the pool not clearing. Until then I've put the old grids back together and I'm gonna continue running the filter so i don't back track on the slamming process.

Does anyone know how to check about filtering through the main drain? I'm not sure if my pool is doing that or just through the skimmer or both? I read that it's more efficient to have the main drain filtering too so more water is filter quicker. Does anyone know anything about this?

Do you have a 3 way valve in front of the pump that selects between drain and skimmers? I keep mine about 75% skimmer and 25% drain for more skimming.

Okay this might sound silly but what is this? I didn't realize there was a third return jet in my pool or is it something else?
I just installed my new filter grids and top manifold and De powder was no longer coming out of the shallow and deep end jets but it looked like it was coming out of this? I felt in the water and theres definitely water returning through it but why would DE powder just come out of this and not the others?I know its hard to see but it looks similar to my other jets but doesn't have the ball in the middle that allows you to change the direction of water flow. Possibly because it fell out or was never there, I'm not sure. IMG_8362.jpg

I'll take a guess. Now that your filter is clean and working well, you are getting better flow, and the residual DE in this pipe was purged due to better flow.

Since it would seem you only have one pump, and one filter, it is a return. It may have lost its eyeball, or you may find the eyeball at the bottom once you can see the bottom.

Okay I've now been consistently shocking for 7 days since i posted the light green picture of my pool and it is STILL the same color. I replaced almost everything on the filter 2 days ago and I've seen small amounts of change but the green color WONT budge. Keep in mind I've been shocking consistently for a month. Ive been advised to go ahead and put flocculent into the pool to see if it will drop a lot of the algae to the bottom for me to vacuum. Does anyone have any advice. Ive been patient and done everything i was told to do including constantly brushing the pool.

Any chance there are metals in your water? One test that is suggested to have the Pool Store do as the tests are expensive to purchase.

Just a thought ---

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.