Pool Still Green After 2+ Weeks

madlakespool

Aug 22, 2019
Anderson, IN
Good morning all!

For reference, I have a 27000 gal IG Concrete pool with a Triton II Sand Filter and Pentair CHII N1 Self Priming Pump (10+ years old). The main drain doesn't work.

About 2.5 weeks ago, the water started turning green. I jumped on here to get some advice/info and started following the SLAM process. Unfortunately it is not working. I have tried shocking, clarifier, algaecide on top of vacuuming daily, using the broom, backwashing, etc. and nothing is clearing the water.

My readings are
TC: 6.0
CC: 5.0
Alkalinity: 140
CYA: 90
pH: 7.6

Any advice is welcome at this point.

Attachments

• pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 7
You need more chlorine and/or drain water to lower your CYA. Use the chart below for the correct amount. At CYA of 90 your target FC for a clear pool is 10-12, and slam level is 35. You are at 6.0.

Also, use liquid chlorine as that does not have CYA (pool shock adds CYA which likely contributed to your high CYA).

Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

What test kit are you using? I noticed you reported Total Chlorine and combined chlorine. If those numbers are correct, your free chlorine is only 1. Well below slam level and also below the recommended minimum.

I see your test kit in your signature now. You need a FAS DPD kit to properly test for chlorine. Your issue is that you haven’t been slamming at all.

Reactions: jmikeb
Since you already have a test kit, you just need to add one of these:

I also recommend getting the speedstir, it makes all your testing easier:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.