Pool stairs replacement, inground vinyl

May 11, 2012
Hi

I bought a house with a 30x15 foot pool, metal sides with vinyl liner (which isn’t there). However i notice as the owner pulled all the slabs up around the pool, its eroded where the stairs sit, they haven’t moved, however stones have moved down and fractured the base of the stairs themselves.

They look about 5-6 feet wide and are oblong (polycarbonate type), are these standard sizes as i would like to put in something like half-moon design.

I can get pictures, this will be a large job as i want to re-pipe everything, i am Canada (south Ontario), any input would be good.

Many Thanks

Welcome to TFP!!

Replacing steps in an existing pool can be a nightmare! (this I know from having done it ~ 20 times) There is a lot involved in the change-out and it can be very labor intensive and require tools and equipment that most homeowners don't have. However, let's discuss this and see what will be best for your pool.

The first thing to do is measure the stairs. Make sure that the opening between the panels is uniform and the size of the new steps. Also check to see that the the panels are 'plumb', check both the face of the panels and the sides (where the new steps will bolt to the panels).

Pics would certainly help!!!!!!!!

I know what to do and how to do it but, conveying that using a keyboard will be a real test of my eloquence :oops:

Get back to me and we'll figure out the plausibility of this project. :cool:

Hi, pics enclosed, i have a few comming to look over the weekend...

pool-01.jpg

pool-02.jpg

pool-03.jpg

pool-04.jpg

pool-05.jpg

pool-06.jpg

UPDATE

we have had one pool company over, who has said as the top sides are moving inward (left (skimmer) moved in 4 inches, right 2 inches and back 1 inch) then it appears the pool wasn't installed correctly.

And would be better to remove all the sides and re-do the whole job, its been in since 1997, the base of the panels have not moved, only the tops.... any input here would be good.

You can see the movement when looking, this has moved in the past year...

Bama Rambler said:
I would think that you could adjust or replace the wall supports and straighten the walls up. I don't see any reason to redo the whole pool if just the tops have moved.

Logistically, this would involve digging out behind the offending walls i assume, which itself sounds like a large job, one wall is on the boundary making it fairly impossible getting any machinery in there.... as i have to dig the base out anyway with a bobcat i would think, it means its already in the pool (via the stairs that by this time would be removed).

Is there anyone in south Ontario who is willing to look at this, i agree moving the tops is possible but wouldn't it be easier to replace?

UPDATE,

Had one quote in to remove everything and re-install with new sides, pump, filter the pool only (not including the side walk way only the pool itselt) about $30000 which sounds super expensive to me...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cant get anyone to come arround to quote, however with prices that high, not sure i am too worried about it yet, getting people to come over and quote seems to be like rocket science in Canada, Europe people would bit your arm off to quote for a job.

I have thought about it, however it basiclly needs new panels / walls and digging out, which i could do myself, however would like a book on how to do that, as that would be 4 weeks work for me alone.

UPDATE

We have bumped in to the person who "helped" put the pool in, it appears it was never installed correctly.

the owner and there friend dug it out by hand (1997), then got a "pool" guy in to put the panels in, no backfil on the panels (they moved) and nothing under the liner (surprised it didnt leak before now).

So it was a super cheap (not done right) job in the first place, that explains alot... :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.