George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I noticed some stains around the drains in the deep end of my pool. I have attached the best pictures I could get of them. I have tried to remove or lessen using Vitamin C and a puck with either have no affect on these spots. What should I try next to eliminate them. My pool is 12 years old and this is first time the appeared.IMG_20200710_145355.jpgIMG_20200710_145357.jpgIMG_20200710_145410.jpg

I am really surprised Vitamin C didn't work. They sure look light rust spots to me. The only other test with something you may have laying around would be some dry acid (copper). If that doesn't work, you may need to try Magic Jack's Stain ID Kit.

Maybe I didn't apply the VitC right. I first tried just rubbing a tablet over one of the spots and when that did not work I took a bunch of VitC pills and crushed them up in a nylon and set them over the spot and held them in place with a brick. What is in the Magic Jack Stain ID kit?

Thanks for your reply. One other thing I noticed when I was at bottom of pool in the area where the stains are is I found a long rusted nail stuck in one of the return drains. The drain I found it in is parrallel with and about 4 feet from the drain where most of the stains are. I think the nail was from a roof repair I had done. If so it was there four or five months.. could that be the source of the stains?

If so it was there four or five months.. could that be the source of the stains?
Hummm, I don't know. Maybe it was there for a while and got kicked around? Or maybe some particles broke off to other spots to cause thestain? Maybe a stretch. But I would still think the Vitamin C would take care of it, that's the odd part.

Tried Vitamin C again and it seems to be working but very slowly. I am having to fill a sock full of VitC tablets and then crusing them into powder with a mallet. I then drop the sock in the middle of the rust spots and leave sit for about 5 minutes. Next I put on a snorkel mask and dive to this spot. I then use a wire brush on the stains. It is very slow going as the stains are in the deep end of pool in center near drains and I can only spend about 20 seconds before I need to surface for air. It there an easier method of removing these stains?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.