Pool/spa Quartzite Coping

Apr 19, 2017
California
Hello, I have quartzite being installed around the coping and on the top of the 18" raised spa. Is having a lip/overhang common on those areas, and if so, what is the common size, i.e. 2", 1", etc. for the coping and the spa?

They're trying to say that a 2" overhang is common and I think that is very excessive. I'm thinking of having no lip and keeping it flush or .5 to .75 at the most.

Please advise and provide example pics if possible. Thank you in advance.

I just ran out and measured my coping - never thought a thing about THAT! Lol!!!! I have bullnosed travertine coping around the pool and spa. It all hangs over but different depending on the place. The pool area overhang is about 1 3/8". The spa coping overhang is about 1 3/8" to 1 1/2", and the coping on the raised sheer descent part of the spa hangs over between 1 3/4" to 2". The coping over the top step into the pool is between 1" to 1 1/4". Ha! To look at the entire pool and spa, it all looks the same (now it may not! Lol!!) I did not measure the entire pool perimeter. Wow! It seems like I've measured everything else about my pool.

I've never found it uncomfortable to lean back against it. A lip is nice for grabbing in the spa and the main pool. Now..... was my tile guy very lazy, or are the variances due to fitting stone, or what? On the other hand, it hasn't made a difference to me. Personally, I would want a lip. I'm curious what others say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.