Pool SOS

You follow the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria. Test fc & add liquid chlorine every few hours to MAINTAIN Slam fc level for your cya.
Always round up to the next “10” when measuring cya so yours is 40ppm - this means you need to maintain a fc level of 16ppm. FC/CYA Levels
Every hour you fall below slam level algae wins.
Right, I forgot to check the SLAM article.🤦‍♀️ Thanks

Reactions: Mdragger88
So my husband asked a question about the adding the chlorine and I wasn't sure. I know my goal for the FC is 16 based on the CYA. But what if it goes over? And is there a reason to add a half gallon or gallon every hour versus just adding 4 gallons this morning?

Another question that relates to the SLAM process. We have a vacuum and it worked well once. But when I went to use it a couple of days ago, I got no suction. When I put the filter to backwash, it flows well, but as soon as I hook the vacuum up, it slows to a trickle. Any thoughts or experiences with this issue? Thanks

I know my goal for the FC is 16 based on the CYA. But what if it goes over
The 40% number was reached for optimal efficiency. Over it and the FC burns off faster than it helps becoming a waste. No biggie if you overshoot a little bit too far risks liner/equipment damage.
And is there a reason to add a half gallon or gallon every hour versus just adding 4 gallons this morning?
Yes. M for maintain. A constant fight for the Algae. Spiking it and having it be far under optimal efficiency draws the process out.
it flows well, but as soon as I hook the vacuum up, it slows to a trickle. Any thoughts or experiences with this issue
Is the hose ‘primed’ and full of water before you connect it ? A lot of times of there is still air in the hose it won’t make a good deal to divert all the pump suction through the vac.

The 40% number was reached for optimal efficiency. Over it and the FC burns off faster than it helps becoming a waste. No biggie if you overshoot a little bit too far risks liner/equipment damage.

Yes. M for maintain. A constant fight for the Algae. Spiking it and having it be far under optimal efficiency draws the process out.

Is the hose ‘primed’ and full of water before you connect it ? A lot of times of there is still air in the hose it won’t make a good deal to divert all the pump suction through the vac.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

I'll try again on the vacuum. It will be tricky not being able to get in the pool (it's nasty, lol) but I'll make it work.

I'll try again on the vacuum
Stick the business end in facing up so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pool. Feed the hose into the pool ‘hand over hand’ until you are holding the other end. If it gets close to the pool water, water will gush out. In a quick fell swoop, smack it into the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

I'll try again on the vacuum. It will be tricky not being able to get in the pool (it's nasty, lol) but I'll make it work.
U can also Stick the hose on the return/jet to fill it with water until u don’t get anymore air/bubbles coming out- then carefully (keeping the hose end under water) move it to the pump inlet connection/skimmer etc. some people try to keep their hand over it to prevent air from going in the hose. Also secure the pole end so it doesn’t fall in the pool - it helps to have 3 hands 🤣

U can also Stick the hose on the return/jet to fill it with water until u don’t get anymore air/bubbles coming out- then carefully (keeping the hose end under water) move it to the pump inlet connection/skimmer etc. some people try to keep their hand over it to prevent air from going in the hose. Also secure the pole end so it doesn’t fall in the pool - it helps to have 3 hands 🤣
I'll make my 12 year old help me, lol

Th
This worked and I didn't even have to employ the begrudging help of a 12 year old.

No worries. Stay the course. It’s 1% or less of your FC most times as long as you’re mixing. You won’t be able to even tell.

Reactions: Athas08
Thinking about the future... once you are done with the SLAM:
1 - Never let your FC drop below target. It is safe to swim up to SLAM level. If you plan to not let it drop below target you won't be in trouble if something unexpected happen.
2 - If you don't take the pool down during winter keep it chlorinated at or above target all times (I don't think you are going to close it where you live)

If you follow those two you won't ever have to SLAM again.

1 - Never let your FC drop below target. It is safe to swim up to SLAM level. If you plan to not let it drop below target you won't be in trouble if something unexpected happen.
+1. And to expand on this, You can aim for target level, consume your daily chlorine and be at or slightly above minimum. There is very little room for error here. If you aim above target, and fall back into range with your daily loss, You have about 4FC for insurance before minimum. Until you know your pool backwards/forwards I always recommend running hot. That safety net may save you going through all this again.

Once you are your own pro, you can dance the fine line as close as you wish. When I saw how good it worked, I never dropped mine and kept it hot. Many others do too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.