Pool Size: 16 x 35 S300i or polaris 9350 or Aquabot 2000/1500

nj121

May 28, 2019
NJ
i am very newbie in pool maintenance so thank you for your help in advance.

I went to a couple of stores around me to look at Robotic pool cleaners and they suggested above four models (from 3 different stores). Two big pool supplies store around me sales Aquabot and Polaris only. I am looking for robotic cleaners do the following things:
  • Clean the entire pool, walls,
  • Clean Stairs (if possible)
  • Able to set the timer (I will put it in water and hope to set timer / stops after finishing pool)
  • Don't get stuck at the drain

I have old aquabot and it came with the house we bought. It gets stuck in a particular area and after aboutn 30 minutes it stops climbing the walls and gets stuck at drains. It basically needs a babysitting and its around 18 years old (old owner didn't use it).

My initial budget was 1000 but store guys thinks i need to go around 1300 to get better equipment. I have no problem buying items online or anywhere else.

In general, I put lots of emphasis on the reliability of machine over new functionality; given both machines are doing basic jobs (i listed above)

let me know if you need more information to suggest a pool cleaner.

Thank you

I'm in NJ also, new pool owner and I'm piggy backing off your post because those are three models I was looking at. I have an Aquabot S600 prime, so far the power supply died late last year (they replaced), second year of ownership, and now the drive belts have both broken. When it worked I was happy with it but watching it I never felt like it cleaned every inch of the pool, it would start in the deep end then wind up in the shallow missing spots along the way.

It's in for repair now at Aquabot headquarters so I'd at least like to have a backup plan. But for this amount of money... I want it to WORK. (The only thing I'd add to yours is that I'd maybe want a quick mode for floor only. But I want it to be hands off, I don't need bluetooth!)

Why not vacuum yourself once a week instead of buying Crud that doesn't work? I mean unless available time is zero or you are 300lbs and don't want to do a little work. None of these moto cleaners seem worth it.

Crud that doesn't work?

That's a pretty definitive statement. And also wrong. There's a reason these are so popular, because they work and save time. I can cut my grass with scissors or I can use a powered lawn mower, I can shovel snow or use a snowblower and I can spend an hour manually vacuuming my pool and scrubbing down the walls or I can drop an automated device in to do the work while I spend that hour doing other things.

Reactions: flpoolmom
I've had a Polaris 9550 for 3+ years with no problems. It cleans well, including climbing the wall. It has a LARGE retrieval box which can hold alot of leaves and tree debris. It has a timer you can set for a schedule and a count down timer to set each time you start the cleaner in the pool. Our pool is open year round, so I am using this cleaner on average once a week. So far, so good, I hope to get 5 years from it at least.

Thanks Sweep49, I've been keeping an eye on those. Got my aquabot back, only $72 to put on new belts (which yes, I could have done myself but lucky me, my model requires you to take the whole thing apart ?). If I see a good deal on a Polaris I may grab it, especially if this one breaks again.

And I don't always have time to vacuum plus I vacation a lot. But thanks for not answering my question Doug.

Around here Maytronics robots rule. I have an M500 and love it. It is a workhorse and leaves my pool spotless. I am a big fan of the 3rd brush on it since I really hate brushing my pool. The 200/300 series are very popular and there single basket as opposed to my dual baskets are easier to clean. I would never live without a robot cleaner. I run mine 2 to 3 times a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got my aquabot back, only a $75 charge and it's working great again but I feel like there's no actual pattern to the cleaning and it misses spots. It does a good enough job for now but I'm going to switch brands when it dies so this is helpful.

I have the same size pool as yours and I use a Dolphin Active 30i. It wont do the stairs or ledges, but cleans everything thing else perfect. Saves me a couple of hours each week. I drop it in, brush off the swim ledges and stairs and forget about it for the next two hours.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably save $150 because I don't need the app/bluetooth or the caddy. They are both gimmicks and a waste in my opinion. Drop it in, hit the button and forget about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.