Pool School update needed for DE "Quad" filters??

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
Trying to understand the pros/cons of a DE "Quad" filter and feel pretty confused after reviewing Pool School and a Forum thread search... Seems they are a cross between a DE filter and a Cartridge Filter, but still confused... Do they require backwashing or not? How does cleaning them compare to cleaning a traditional cartridge filter? What are the pros/cons between these "newer" filters and a traditional DE Filter or a Cartridge Filter? Please advise/update. Thank you!

Mike,

The Quad DE is just like all DE filters, but rather than using a "grid" assembly to hold the DE, they use a 4 special cartridges in place of the grid assembly.

The Quad cartridges are different than normal cartridge filters.. They have much coarser pleats that hold the DE.

A Quad DE filter is normally plumbed with a multiport valve and can be backwashed like any DE filter.

We have several members that have the Quad DE and some of them just break the filter down and clean it once or twice a year rather than backwashing it.

Making a DE filter with grids gets harder to do when bigger than the 60 sq. foot models... This is why they went to the Quad DE with cartridges in place of the grids..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, but I still think an update to Pool School is warranted. I've heard/seen from several that they don't require backwashing, which, if true, would make it a relatively easy replacement for a cartridge filter. But this does not seem definitively clear anywhere, nor are any pros and cons comprehensively weighed. Chasing down answers from the Forum has proved inconclusive, for me at least...

Mike,

I guess what I was trying to say was that they are designed to be backwashed... but, because they are so big, and most people that have them also have VS pumps which they run a low rpms, means that you can run them for at least 6 months or maybe a year before you would need to do it...

I guess I can't see what all the confusion is about... The Quad DE is a DE filter that works just like any other DE filter????

What specific questions do you still have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pool School update needed for DE "Quad" filters??

I have a pair of quad de 100’s. They *can* be backwashed and I used that capability when doing my post flood clean-up on the pool because it was a quick and dirty way of cycling *most* of the collected bayou mud off the filter.

In normal operating conditions though, I prefer to take the lid off and spray down each of the cartridges. Usually I only have to do this like Jim said - once or twice a year. I prefer the disassembly method because I can spray out ALL the junk and start fresh again with a 10# charge of DE per filter. If I only have to do it once every 6 months, I prefer to take the extra couple hours and do it complete rather than back washing off 70% and then putting more DE on top of old gunk.

One quick tip if you do the disassembly method - always be sure to inspect (and replace if necessary) the o-ring on the base of the cartridge manifold before re-assembling. I had one fall off and the DE slipped into the pool. Took a while to vacuum it back out after replacing the missing o-ring.

On the advantage / disadvantage part of the comment - we opted for quad DE for the finer filtration of DE without having to hassle with the traditional DE filter fins. It seemed like the best of both worlds. That said, I have never personally cleaned and re-assembled a traditional DE filter so that is really just what I suspect from watching YouTube videos.

Re: Pool School update needed for DE "Quad" filters??

Neither style "require" backwashing.

What if I never backwash my grid DE? Which I usually don't. I almost always do a full tear down. There is no difference between the 2 styles other than what they look like on the inside.

Mike,

To follow up on Jason's comments..

I have two older DE filters with the normal grid systems. I used to backwash them when I had single pumps... Now with VS pumps, running at low rpms, I find that I can skip backwashing and just disassemble and clean them twice a year.

DE filters don't "require" backwashing, but with a single speed pump you would have to break them down every month or so for cleaning, so backwashing makes more sense. With a VS pump it makes more sense for me to just clean then twice a year.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back_Yard, Jason, and Jim,

Thank you, that is all helpful information. Now please review the "Filter Comparison" in Pool School and see that it's incomplete/inaccurate/outdated. (DE Filter: "Requires backwashing", etc.) Several points from this string should be in Pool School for novices and everyone to see.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.