Pool sample

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
I've done some searching but only found that pool sample should be taken 12-18" under the surface. My question is where should it be taken? Should it also be taken in the same place each time? Thanks!

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I think everyone has a spot that's easiest to reach for whatever reason - planters, decking, narrow walkways - so they tend to use the same spot every time. As long as it has decent circulation it should be fine.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You could take a little food coloring and squirt it in the location and if it's quickly carried away you'll be able to see how good the circulation is in that particular spot.

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
Thanks! Great idea! I really appreciate your help. I've been in shock mode for a couple of days now. CC has never been more than 1, mostly 0.5 - but not able to hold OCLT yet. If my water is not sparkling though, I don't know what sparkling is... I usually get a lot of junk blown in my pool, so that may also be playing an effect. Have you seen pools where you simply cannot ever meet the OCLT?

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
Ok, thanks. Just checking... I was indoctrinated in the pool store method of pool care and have only recently found this forum. I'm having to relearn some things, so I'm sure I'm just getting a little impatient. This is my first attempt at shocking, so I'm a little unsure of myself. Having my TF-100 sure has saved a lot of trips (and unnecessary purchases) from the pool shop.

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
Woohoo!! Water is crystal clear, CC is less than 0.5, and passed the OCLT last night. Since normal testing only tests to about 0.5ppm, I'm assuming that's why you meet the 3 criteria?

How often should I expect to shock the pool? The pool store recommends shocking weekly, but they don't shock properly anyway. With the SWG, I was finding I could get by shocking every other week or so. Using the Pool School method, what might I expect for shocking intervals?

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Smykowski is right on. This method of pool maintenance only uses the shocking process to fix problems and requires maintaining (generally) proper FC levels for normal operation, which then prevents organics from growing in the pool. If you end up needing to shock regularly, you are not following some portion of the method correctly.