Pool Salt

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
If I can't get the Pool salt at Walmart, they did have Morton salt. I was wondering it the Bright and Solf pellets would be OK to use. The only other ingredient is Sodium Hexametaphosphate at 03% The rest is Sodium Chloride at 99.97%. The Pure solar crystals seem to have some extra dirt in them. At least that is what I found out from using them in my water softener system when I cleaned it out and saw how much dirt was in the bottom of my brine tank. I would think that if the pellets were ok for the softener then it should be good for the pool.

Try to find one without additives. Though what you show is pretty pure. It will add some phosphate to your pool water.

Here in the west, the blue bags do not have any additives. I get mine at Home Depot.

Home Depot had the water softener salt (both pure and unpure, need to double check the bags) in the pluming aisle, usually near the hot water heaters. It’s the cheapest I’ve found around $5-$6 a bag.

But. I absolutely love any salt because even when it’s ‘expensive’ at $8 a bag, It only costs $10 or $20 more. I’ve bought it plenty of times because it was conveniently in front of me and going across town wasting an hour wasn’t worth it to save a few bucks.

Reactions: markayash
I like Morton, seems to dissolve fast and Walmart always has good pricing. But Like NewDude said its all within a buck or 2 so not a big deal
I used to drive to save 5 cents on gas and realized since my car only held 10 galls that's 50 cents :)

Reactions: Newdude
I assume either of these Diamond Crystal water softener salts would a good choice? The blue bag is salt crystals and says "up to 99.6% pure salt" and "Low insoluble content".
Yellow bag is pellets amd says "Up to 99.8% pure salt" and "Virtually 100% water soluble". The price is about $6.50 at Home Depot

brightandsoft 40.pngsolar naturals 40.png

The yellow bag I have found has additives for iron sequestration. I would not use a salt with additives.

Thanks! I have read on here to stay away from Chlorox and also to stay away from the yellow bag of Morton's, if I am not mistaken, so I wasn't sure about the yellow bag of Diamond Crystal.
It seems like the Morton's pool salt from Wal Mart is popular on here, but I couldn't find the purity statement anywhere. Morton's and Diamond blue bag is in plentiful supply around here so I will go with one of them.
Thanks again!!

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume either of these Diamond Crystal water softener salts would a good choice? The blue bag is salt crystals and says "up to 99.6% pure salt" and "Low insoluble content".
Yellow bag is pellets amd says "Up to 99.8% pure salt" and "Virtually 100% water soluble". The price is about $6.50 at Home Depot

View attachment 313897View attachment 313898
The yellow bag as I posted above has Sodium Hexametaphosphate at 03%, the rest is pure salt. I got the information from its MSDS (material safety datasheet) It is my understanding is used to help keep the salt pellets from forming a bridge in your brine tank.

My initial thought was for a couple of dimes get the best you can with no additives, 100% pure. I looked up the MSDS and found the cheeper softener crystals more pure then the pool salt even though its all from the same manufacturer.

Our salt is a bit different, water softener or anti freeze salt is not common. We have cheep pool salt or the premium for a couple of bucks extra. Its a no brainer for me, for less then $2 more I’ll buy the better one with less impurities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.