Pool safety (fencing and pool covers)

Waterly

Oct 18, 2019
California
I'm new here and need a bit of help with securing my pool. I have a porch that leads directly to my pool (3ft clearance). What are the requirements for pool gates? It seems futile to put up a gate since someone could just jump in from the porch.

Also, does anyone know the clearance required for a pool cover? The pool doesn't have existing tracks.

Are you asking for safety sake, or requirement sake? I’m assuming it’s a residential pool? For California, fencing is apparently required after 2007 to have a fence or ‘barriers’. Barriers could be just alarms. For our homeowners policy it was pool alarms (alarms if water disturbance) and door/window alarms that lead out to the pool.
Can you clarify why the porch is an obstacle? Maybe this is helpful?

I’ve never had a pool cover so I won’t be helpful there.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
If you could post a picture up of the pool and decking it would be very helpful in picturing it.... can you do this for us? Also your own local rules may come in to play, you might want to check with the city/county for their requirements.

Otherwise, welcome to TFP! This IS the place to learn all things pool-related! :)

Maddie :flower:

Barriers could be just alarms. For our homeowners policy it was pool alarms (alarms if water disturbance) and door/window alarms that lead out to the pool.

We have a 5' fence around our pool and rear yard. The door and windows from the house to the rear yard are part of our wired alarm system which beeps whenever a door or window is opened (even when the alarm is not set). You could achieve the same thing with small magnetic alarms on each egress point without the (wired or wireless) alarm system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.