Pool Returns`Issue

George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
After a recent bout with algae I decided to check the pressure out of the returns and found that of the seven returns one of them has no flow coming out and a second one has weak flow. I removed the eyeballs and look inside but cpuld not see anything causing this. I alsp put long items down them to try and clear any blockage with no luck. Does anyone had any idea what is causing this problem and what I can do to to try and fix?

As it is dark out I will have to take an equipment pad photo in the morning and post.

As for responses to your questions: yes these have produced normal flow in the past. No i checked the valves and they are in the correct positions. Just a side note: there are seven returns in my pool one of them being the outlet for the pool sweep. The two on this side are closes to the pump and are working well. The two that are not working are the ones on the far side from the pump but the other 3 on that side have normal flow rates

Are you running your pump at a slower speed now? Do you get any flow at absolute max/priming speed? Have you changed the style of any of the eyeballs?

7 returns is a lot, and if you are running your pump at low speed, or have exceptionally large returns, then this would explain the no flow.

I cleaned my filter cartridges about a week ago.

Now that you mention it i did replace my old 2HP pump with a new variable speed one last fall and run the new one at 1400. I will boost it up to max speed (2400) and see what happens.

As for the number of returns when built the pool was suppossed to have 4 regular smaller returns, one large return for the pool sweep, and two returns on the floor in the deep end to push colder water to the surface for mixing. The pool builder messed up and forgot to put in the floor returns so they ended up putting two returns (one on each side) in the deep end wuth eyeballs pointing dowward.

Here and pictures of the equipment pad and piping you requested,

With that many returns, unless the builder looped the return line, you will not get even flow out of all of them.

Should not. As long as you brush often or run a robot to clean the pool which also mixes the water well.

You might find a 30 minute high rpm run per day may be useful.

So i ran the pump at max speed (2400) and there was good flow out of all the jets. Of course I do not want to do this all the time but at least I know the valves are in thee right postion and there is no line blockage.

When I run the pool sweep I do boost up the pressure to 2000 Rpm and it moves around the pool briskly and mixes up the water. Also i brush the pool at least ever other day.

So i will continue to monitor the pool to make sure all us well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So thinking about your pool at 17,000 gallons, that means a decent size, but not huge. I see 7 returns as overkill. I am going to suggest something that might need some group input on the flaws with this.

Two immediate thoughts
1 - I would look at the flow in the pool, and possibly consider capping off 2 to 3 returns to bring better flow to the pool overall, by directing the limited low speed flow to the jets that directly influence overall skimming in the pool
2 - I worry about capping them off trapping in water that does not get circulated, creating a breading ground for algae to bloom and spread out to the pool

So I would possibly put on caps, but drill a few holes of small diameter (such as 1/8") in the side wall of the cap. This would allow a small amount of flow, and send the flow directly down the side wall of the pool, which will aid in overall circulation of the pool. Or you coudl put a hole on the bottom, directing flow straight down to the bottom, which woudl force colder water up to the top and help even water temps. I feel like these concepts would be an overall improvement in your pool flow, and make sure that all returns had at least some flow. Thoughts from the masses on this idea?

Brushing and using the pool sweep achieves the same result.

I don't think that your answer reflects what I intended to say, so let me try again because I was not clear. I also might have not thought this clearly myself. My issue was not in regards to improving pool circulation. What concerns me is that when the pool is in low RPM mode, the water is not getting circulated, and therefore is stagnant in the pipes in the current 7 return situation. I think of stagnant water as a bad place where poor water chemistry can develop.

At a bare minimum, I would modify your pump program to run at high RPM for at least 15 minutes or so every 12 hours just to circulate water in the pipes. But what I would do is cap off one of the high flowing returns, which should then send water to the returns that dont distribute any water. This then creates an issue in now the capped off return will always have stagnant water. So my answer to this would be to drill a small hole in that cap. Now you still have enough flow to direct to the returns that arents currently flowing (thus fixing that stagnant water issue) and the small hole will still allow water to cycle through the capped line, and therefore no lines are ever stagnant.

My solution has nothing to do with improving pool circulation, it has to do 100% with keeping flow through all returns when the pump is on, even at the lowest RPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.