Bronze Supporter
Mar 6, 2014
Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I'm not sure the best place to post this. Please feel free to redirect if it is not here.

Looking to renovate the pool/pool deck since we need a new liner and the concrete is shot. So we are going to get rid of the concrete and slide and do a new liner, add a second skimmer & returns in the shallow end, do a paver deck. The picture is a nice before - that was us the day we opened the pool 5/2020 (not bad thanks to this forum!)

So a couple of questions.

We currently have a Nautilus FNS 60 DE filter - pool reno guys say they don't install new DE as it's old technology and are recommending cartridge filter. All I keep thinking about is my hot tub filter and cleaning that! I love how sparkling clean my DE filter is! Is it true that cartridge is the standard now? Am I going to be unhappy with filters after having DE. I backwash it once usually right after opening and I'm finishing the SLAM process. Then I'm usually good for the rest of the season (I think the filter is slightly oversized for the pool)

second...we are taking down the slide (no kiddos to use it anymore). The pool reno company recommended maybe adding deck jets? worth it?

We are adding some LED lights. Should we have 2 drains? I see a lot of pictures here with 2 drains?

Heater? none right now, offering propane heater but we are saltwater and I heard issues? We live in CT so I feel like a heater would be nice to get a month on either side of pool season.

Anything we should be asking before we dive in, anything we should be putting in the contract?

Attachments

• pool opening 5.2020.jpg
    pool opening 5.2020.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
A heater is no issue with a SWG. Cupronickel heat exchanger is a good option if available. A cartridge filter is an excellent option. Clarity of water is not a factor between the two.

If you have a single round drain, that is no longer compliant and a redo would necessitate a VGBA compliant drain. They are two round drains a certain distance apart or a channel drain that is long and linear and is also compliant. (Better choice). Main drains are not required and many remove them. But they also have some benefits.

I’m not a fan of deck jets because it’s just more lines and complexity strictly for appearance.

Propane heater = expensive but it will work... Unless your DE filter is really old and not working you can leave it, if replacing you can go either Cart or DE, most stay with the same filter they know... deck jets always sound great until the new owner starts them up and they run here and ask if there is a way to make them not as loud.. they look kewl though :)

Thanks - I didn't think about the piping for the deck jets. Assuming you'd want to plumb a diverter valve then if you did put them in to shut them off?

Another question - in the proposal, they put in a new VS pentair pump - Mine was bought in 2017 (I don't realy care fore it b/c the SWG doesn't register the flow at lower RPMs?) how long do pumps last and should I consider a new one? I don't think so as it works fine. I think I may just change the SWG to a pentair to allow for more automation maybe?

can you add a touch of DE to a cartridge filter like sand to get that crystal clear look I'm used to?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.