Pool reno - 'missing' niche

mishyp

Apr 21, 2021
Santa Ana, CA
Pool is drained and demo has started. Now it looks as though my lights (large pentair style 11" and smaller spa size that won't be replaced) do not have niches. I know the pool is old, but I wasn't expecting this. Now that I've bought a replacement pentair LED, should I return for a nicheless light? PB says too hard to install a niche, which seems about right. But then he also recommended to skip the niche, so even more confused. Also discovered nothing was grounded, not the lights or the pool pump. So, lots of fun.

the nichless lights are just a 1.5 inch pipe through the shell... so way easy compared to an 11 inch niche or just about anything else..

Does he mean no light? that would be easy for them...

Post pics of your lights and the light holes in your pool.

How is the wire run from the light hole to whatever they connect to.

I don’t believe there is any requirement for a light niche. The light niche just makes an easy holding for the builder. Your light hole looks like a DIY niche. If your new LED light fits then use it.

I don’t believe there is any requirement for a light niche. The light niche just makes an easy holding for the builder. Your light hole looks like a DIY niche. If your new LED light fits then use it.
Thank you, that is probably the best news I've heard about anything DIY in the house or yard. It definitely tracks with everything else we've uncovered. :rolleyes: We have a lot of DIY that we've fixed and continue to fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.