Pool Remodel: Which SWG to use

poolschpool

Jun 12, 2019
Fremont, CA
Hi,
I am getting my pool re-plumbed and new equipment installed. The equipment being installed is Pentair VSF pump and filter (420 sqft) with simple intermatic mechanical timer. This is an in-ground Gunite pool with approx 40,000 gallons.

I am considering installing an SWG as a part of this remodel and had the following questions. My basic research tells me that both Pentair and Hayward have decent SWGs and a new one with power supply will cost about $1,000-$1,500

1. Hayward seems to have many variants and knockoffs for SWG like Aquaplus, Aquarite and Salt & Swim. Pentair only has the Intellichlor. Is there any cost or operational advantages of one over the other. Can I use either one even though pump & filter is Pentair
2. I noticed in the installation manual for Intellichlor might require loop plumbing and the Hayward might require a flow switch. Are either of these necessary.

Any response would be appreciated.

Ditto Allen's comment. Only additional point I'd make is warranty. It's important as all brands do have the occasional manufacturing defect. If you end up with that it's an expensive repair. Major brands limit warranty for DIY install. Most 3rd party do not.

You're gonna love your salt pool!

Chris

I have a Pureline PL7704 from inyourpools, which they no longer have.
They also have the Intellichlor IC60 with Power Center and a POWERCLEAN Salt Ultra cell.

Thank you for the replies. My pool is a kidney shaped pool with 35' length and 17' width. The deep side is 9' deep. Online calculators are pegging the volume at ~23000 US Gallons. My bad in saying that the pool is 40000 gallons.

Does this mean that I can use a Hayward SWG with T-15 cell. I like the fact that the salt cell is disposable without any electronics and has many 3rd party replacements available as well. I believe the Intellichlor has electronics integrated in the cell.

Is there any other option that is cheaper or more bang for the buck? What about Hayward SAS. Is that an option for my pool size?

All 3 major brands have an option to integrate the unit is their automation power center and they have some advantages of combining with same brand automation. But the advantages are sort of limited. For example you get to control % Power and Run Time remotely. In practice I have not seen this to be very leveraging since a well-balanced pool does not change settings very often and you can control Run Time with any brand automation and any swg. Sometimes the built in version cheaper if you use the integrated automation panel and plan to add automation anyway.

The TFP recommendation is for 2x and that means you're pushing it a little but it is doable. There are some 3rd party brands that may give you more bang for the $. Prices and sales change a lot so I would look at a broad range. Make sure you compare $/lb chlorine production, warranty and recommendations here. Warranty is very important and a very cheap unit with bad reputation on warranty can be a very expensive choice. Many brands are starting "fudge" the pool volume they can treat with a given chlorine output. So it's very important to look at $/lb FC production. Ideally you would want about 1.7 lb per day chlorine production.

Look at Discount Salt Pools brand comparison for some good information. Also be sure to check other providers to be sure you get the best sales price. Hayward, Pentair and Circupool are often used brands on here and all 3 seem to provide good warranty support. The Hayward SAS system you mentioned has less than 1 lb chlorine production so I don't think this is a good choice for your pool. Would it work? Probably, but you'd have to run it at 100% 12 hr per day to make 2.6 ppm FC. You may have to run it 18+ hrs per day during peak summer. Won't last as long but probably would work especially since you have a VS pump and can run at minimum flow for long periods of time with low power consumption. TFP's recommendation allows you flexibility to run shorter hours per day and gives longer life since you are running at much lower severity.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you for the replies. My pool is a kidney shaped pool with 35' length and 17' width. The deep side is 9' deep. Online calculators are pegging the volume at ~23000 US Gallons. My bad in saying that the pool is 40000 gallons.

At 23K in your pool a 40K cell will work fine.

Does this mean that I can use a Hayward SWG with T-15 cell. I like the fact that the salt cell is disposable without any electronics and has many 3rd party replacements available as well. I believe the Intellichlor has electronics integrated in the cell.

Hayward Aqua SWG systems have many problems with the boards overheating and having component and relay failures. It can be repairable if you are handy. Read Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Inetllichlor systems rarely have electronic problems. Their weak spot has been the flow switch which is more easily repairable or replaceable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.