Pool Remodel leads to leak. Seeking solutions

Well the saga continues if anyone is wondering. It’s obvious now that it’s coming from around the main drain somewhere. Confirmed both visually and by hydrophone. Only problem it’s been patched with putty once, then completely cut around and repatched. Yet the leak still remains. This can been seen in the pictures below where it’s dry, then progressively starts to get wet from groundwater on the backside.

At this point the contractor is starting to waffle and say things like well all pools leak a little......well I have a stinking puddle in my backyard, I don’t think that’s acceptable. Also complaining about the high water table, which yes does exist, as being a reason for the leak being hard to fix.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• AB077CB3-9FCD-4AC6-86F7-DE7FD0273CC6.jpeg
    AB077CB3-9FCD-4AC6-86F7-DE7FD0273CC6.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 4373BFB6-80FF-46D0-A6B6-E2610E65DEDF.jpeg
    4373BFB6-80FF-46D0-A6B6-E2610E65DEDF.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 42
Well finally broke down and fired the contractor. Just couldn’t deal with anymore failed attempts and further destruction of the surface.

Hired a a new company that can hopefully correct the issue.

Hey and just a word of warning for those considering the ecofinish rout on a remodel. We thought the issue of the leaks were localized to the spa, which had every penetration leaking. Well beginning to look like it’s also a problem in the pool, hence the continued water source in through the bottom of the spa. Thought would be that the heat applied shrunk the plaster around each penetration and allowed a leak path. Be interested to hear if any other installers have come across this issue.

Wish me luck! Already in another 3250 to repair just the spa, we’ll see how far the pool goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water runs down hill, not up. Buy your self a jack hammer and concrete diamond saw, and hammer drill. I would first drain everything to the level where your sure theres no leak then slowly fill the pool until you first see the water near the ground and follow that back towards the pool or spa. Then start digging up the earth right up to the pool deck and don't be afraid to drill some test holes with a hammer drill into the concrete. I wouldn't worry about doing too much demo as the area near the leak will have to be demoed to be fixed anyway. If you can contact the original pool builder to find out where the plumbing is burried in the concrete before you drill. Try not to drill holes where you know the plumbing is cemented into the concrete, though thats where the leak might be anyway. If the concrete is wet where you drilled then your getting closer to the leak Don't worry the holes can be patched.

If you could answer that question I’d pay you copious sums of money lol.

Leak crew is coming back out today. I will absolutely watch them pressure test the air line.

As a side note I know it was leaking around the outside of the drains prior to them replastering everything. Even have it on video. For all I know now they fixed that leak and I’m now dealing with something else.

Well the saga has finally come to an end over a year later. In the end every penetration was leaking in both the pool and spa following the remodel. The reason we couldn’t fix the leaks around the penetrations in the spa is that the pool was leaking as well (not known at the time) creating pressure on the outside of the spa. This led to failures of any patch that was applied including completely replastering the spa. Once it was recognized that the pool was leaking and everything drained repairs were able to commence on all penetrations. Basically chip out and replastering around everything. Some other notes of interest:

-dye testing was not conclusive in finding these leaks. 5-6 times they checked among different contractors and I did myself. Never could see dye flowing. Only after cutting up the decking could I see the water flowing along the return piping indicating a leak around the fittings.
-nearly impossible to figure out as we were always chasing the next leak. Never expected every penetration to be leaking
-conjecture that it was the heat from the ecofinish process that may have shrunk the plaster around the penetrations

What did I learn? If you plan a remodel with ecofinish it may be the best choice to replaster or at a minimum chip out around penetrations prior to applying said finish.

Our ecofinish spa is still leaking as well. We had a professional come out to look for leaks and he said he found nothing. Then my husband took off the main drain top and you can see water leaking in all around the main drain. They did chip out and replaster around all fittings before redoing the ecofinish so this is very upsetting to me. We just surpassed to the 2 year mark with our pool nightmare.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.