Pool remodel and new light...help me decide

May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
So, I have total analysis / paralysis and need help with my remodel.

Pool is 15 years old and we are redoing tile, plaster, coping.

There are 3 lights. Hawyard 10" niche incandescent bulb.

Once we are going thru this remodel, I wanted to replace with colorful LEDs.

What I need help deciding is:
0. Should I keep original lights and use new LED bulbs? or remodel properly?
1. if yes to above, Pentair Intellibrite 5G vs J&J XG?
2. How do I determine cord length? The lights are 20' from a junction box, but 80' from the pool controller equipment
3. Do i keep same large niche size or fill it in for a smaller light?
4. Any recommendations where to purchase? (if allowed)

Miuch appreciated,
David

David, this one is easy :)

Same everything just change out the lights for 12 volt ones and get there converter... run the wires the same exact way they are now...

analysis / paralysis
OMG, this is what I get! I didn't know it had a name, or rhymed! Awesome saucin'! (See? Not as good...)

I only have this to contribute. Don't use any sort of fixture or niche that would be plastered in that would lock you into a proprietary replacement part. They are out there. The advantage to the niches you now have is that there will be replacement fixtures for them for all of eternity, provided by vendors that will have to compete for your dollar.

I have the 5G. It's the second one in about three years. I think this one is on its way out, too (intermittent on-off issue). I like the variety of color. Some of the "color shows" are crummy. Slow and generally uninteresting. Others are somewhat pleasing. The color choices are disappointing. The light has the ability to generate millions of colors (literally millions!) but can only produce six or so. And to change between colors and shows a barbaric system of turning the light on and off some number of times is required: 8 on/off flips to get this color, 14 on/off flips to get that show, etc. Which is clearly why they can only offer a handful of colors and shows! Right? I digress.

The variety of colors will not illuminate your pool equally. The white is brightest, but not particularly strong (not halogen strong, for sure). The red is the darkest, barely able to reach the other end of a 12K pool. This is not the fault of the light, per se, it is an inherent property of water (which absorbs the red end of the light spectrum more than the other colors). Blue is next. Green is a little brighter, etc. I like this about the light, you may or may not. I use white for the kids swimming. Red when I want a little mello night swim. And the blue and greens, including the blue and greens-based shows, for ambient lighting while just sitting near the pool at night. The take away, if you want to light up your pool like a martian sunset, you might need multiple lights to get there.

That's my experience with the 5G, limited, as that's the only light I've tried so far. First light was replaced under warranty. Might get a third one under warranty. If not, I'll be reading the rest of this thread before my next purchase to see if there's a more reliable color LED out there.

David, this one is easy :)

Same everything just change out the lights for 12 volt ones and get there converter... run the wires the same exact way they are now...

Thank you very much. So if I remove my current (legacy) Hayward lights, it leaves a niche in the plaster. Can the Florida Sunseeker ones fit in there? Also, do I need one transformetr for the entire set, or one for each fixture?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.