Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hello all!
Thanks to the help of this forum I embarked on the pool refurbishment process earlier this year. At a high level - I had a contract signed 4 months ago, 50% deposit paid the same day, and at this point all that has occurred is the pool has been drained, old tile has been chipped out, some of the new tile has been installed, the old coping has been removed, and concrete added to set the remodel coping at the right height.

My current concern is obviously this has been a 4-month project with very little actual progress occurring. At the moment the pool has substantially refilled with rainwater and is a swamp with frogs, many tadpoles, and who knows what else. The water is very green with a lot of debris and is only about 1' from the water line tile - which has not been grouted since it has not been completed for over a month. I have a glass Mosaic translucent tile and I'm very concerned that if this murky water gets behind there it will never get cleaned out and look right again. I have repeatedly asked to have the pool drained and informed the company of this concern, but as of yet no luck.

We have a potential hurricane approaching over the next several days and it is extremely likely that the ungrouted tile will become submerged at that point. Is this as big of a concern as I fear?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210702_110251.jpg
    20210702_110251.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 58
@cowboycasey
Would it be the customers responsibility to purchase a $160 pump due to a contractors multiple week scheduling delay? Perhaps I'm wrong, it just seems they should be the ones responsible to ensure that any work done is completed enough to be protected from the elements during a Florida summer. Had they continued installing the tile and grouted it all, it wouldnt be a concern at this point. A week or two is one thing but the tile guys haven't been back to finish the job for 5 weeks now...

It depends.. I would buy the pump IF you are going to have a cover on your pool but since you live in FL I do not see that happening as you will probably never close it...

I very much doubt you will get him out there to pump anything out of the pool... I am not sure how much but you can rent a trash pump from lowes and drain some of the water and return it.. probably under 3 bucks but I am not sure...

As a follow up to this, the tile sat un-grouted for over 8 weeks and developed mold and mildew behind the mosaics. They said it would be fixed when grouted (which didn't make much sense since the mildew spots are behind the transparent glass tiles themselves) but went ahead and grouted anyways. They have done half of these now and this is what the tile looks like. I feel like this needs to be replaced but wanted to ensure I'm not being crazy nitpicky about this... I just feel my neutral grey tile shouldn't be dotted with yellow green mildew behind it. These are not the worst areas - just a sampling. Is this acceptable?

Un-grouted:
20210810_142828.jpg

Grouted:
20210810_143939.jpg20210810_143948.jpg

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

• 20210810_144025.jpg
    20210810_144025.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 34
They should have been cleaned before grout was installed.. even with some chlorine in a pressure sprayer to kill the algae growing... they are just being lazy and do not care...

They should have been cleaned before grout was installed.. even with some chlorine in a pressure sprayer to kill the algae growing... they are just being lazy and do not care...

Thanks for this! I mentioned washing these with chlorine to my tile guy and he said he could hit the side he hasn't grouted yet with acid (I asked him to just use chlorine) but there was nothing they could do about the half of the pool they've already grouted. He said chipping out the grout would break all the tiles and they'd have to start over.
My biggest concern is that the algae will spread since I had a similar problem with algae in between my glass blocks before the remodel. Once it set in, it got worse very quickly where the chlorinated pool water couldn't get to it. Is there a big concern about this getting worse on the side they say they can't fix? It's definetly not right, but I'm not sure if this is a "do whatever you have to do to fix it" or a "take a bit of money off for the problem" type of issue. I hate not trusting this company anymore but I've had to be the project manager every step of the way and I just don't know all these details.

I think they should have waited to do the tile at a time when they would be able to finish it out completely without all the delays. The delays created the opportunity for the discoloration and were outside of your area of responsibility. They should do whatever it takes to make it right even if that means tearing it out and re-doing it all. Just my thoughts coming from someone that is in the same situation of sorts overseeing something they should be taking care of. Good luck with it!

It is not your problem or your fault.. It is the tile and pool builders problem and should be taken care of by them.. Do not accept there unacceptable tile job and tell them you want it down right... You or I should not have to tell them to clean the tile before grouting, that is WELL KNOWN, it says it right on the grout package that the tile should be completely clean before grouting

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.