Apr 23, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I recently ordered a TF-100 Test Kit and drained my pool and refilled over the weekend. I went to the local pool store as I had drained my pool before it heated up here in Phoenix, AZ this week. They gave me test results below, I plan to start my own testing following receipt of TF 100, but used this for now. Please let me know if you need additional detail, but this is my first post beyond introduction and I welcome the help/advice!

Free Chlorine - 0
Total Chlorine - 0
pH - 7.9
Total Alkinity - 130
Calcium Hardness - 163
CYA - 5

Plan
1. 60 oz of granular CYA in a sock in front of return
2. Add 38oz of Liquid Chlorine
3. Add 10 oz muriatic acid to drop pH

Is this order of operations correct?

Thank you,

While we don't trust store testing, those actually make sense since new water has no CYA and very little FC. The pH is expected to be slightly elevated. So yes, add the stabilizer via the sock method, reduce the pH a little with muriatic acid, and add liquid chlorine. But be sure to add about 3 ppm of chlorine each day until the TF-100 arrives. Your pool eats everyday .... chlorine that is. :)

Once you get the kit, run your own set of results and post back. We'll feel better seeing YOUR results.

Thanks Texas Splash, will post test results once I get my kit. On addition do I have to wait to add until after all of the CYA is gone from the sock before adding muriatic acid and then chlorine with the pump running? Also from reading on forum it appears 15 minutes between steps is normal (chlorine & acid additions - not sure on CYA as that seems to be less frequent to get in range).

No need to wait very long. Get the sock going by the return jets. You can slowly pour the MA as well. With good pool water circulation, just give it a couple minutes, then you can add the chlorine. Feel free to brush a little if you feel its warranted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.