Pool Quotes - Raleigh, NC

darceync
Please see paragraph 9 of post #1 of this thread. I have listed some differences there. Also please see below.

Hope this helps with your question. If you have any more regarding the IntelliCenter, feel free to ping me.
Please take care...
r.

Last edited:
It also can update it’s firmware automatically, has a lot more feature circuits and schedules available. It is the latest tech vs one that has been out for awhile. I really don’t know why Pentair would keep selling the other products especially because when you add it all up, IntelliCenter is basically the same price.

My favorite feature is the Apple Watch app. I can control the water feature, spa temp, and everything else from my watch while I’m in the pool.

So, you can dig into all the features, but basically it comes down to wouldn’t you want the latest product that costs the same as the outdated one?

darceync
Please see paragraph 9 of post #1 of this thread. I have listed some differences there. Also please see below.
View attachment 107696

Hope this helps with your question. If you have any more regarding the IntelliCenter, feel free to ping me.
Please take care...
r.
It also can update it’s firmware automatically, has a lot more feature circuits and schedules available. It is the latest tech vs one that has been out for awhile. I really don’t know why Pentair would keep selling the other products especially because when you add it all up, IntelliCenter is basically the same price.

My favorite feature is the Apple Watch app. I can control the water feature, spa temp, and everything else from my watch while I’m in the pool.

So, you can dig into all the features, but basically it comes down to wouldn’t you want the latest product that costs the same as the outdated one?

Thank you both - it’s on our list to take back to the PB. My husband is certainly a gadget guy - our whole house is wired to Alexa, and we’re planning on installing outdoor cameras before the dig starts so we can watch while we’re away (and for future security of course).

Reactions: MyAZPool
Received the additional renderings this morning so we can submit to the HOA. Fingers crossed for approval! Our biggest worry is that they won't allow us to get the black painted aluminum fence, as most properties are all wood *except* those that face the lake. Since we back up to the creek, are unable to fence our property line due to the utility easement and therefore cannot tie into our one adjoining neighbor, we're hopeful that we can push that through.

As for the pending changes, we're planning on sliding the pool a bit to the left so the opening for the grotto spillover is more in line with the 3 windows to our living room. I think we've also settled on travertine for the coping and wrap around the fire pit, rather than stone to minimize the number of different materials.

Just note that the infinity edge spa will be harder to get into and can be a bit dangerous if you have kids (here is our thread discussing tile and the edge Infinity edge spa). In the end I really love the look of it and will just warn people not to step up onto it when getting in but our pool builder didn't share the drawbacks. Are you going glass tile or porcelain?

Good to know - will read through that later today! We're doing porcelain tile - I want something that looks "natural" with just enough shine to it so our pool isn't majority rock work.

Attachments

• Pool_Construction2d_001 copy.jpg
    Pool_Construction2d_001 copy.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Pool_014.jpg
    Pool_014.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Pool_013.jpg
    Pool_013.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Pool_012.jpg
    Pool_012.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Pool_011.jpg
    Pool_011.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: RMcGirr83
Looks great. I sometimes wish we did porcelain throughout. What type of Travertine are you doing?
My husband wants to go with Ivory, but waiting to see samples in person. I prefer something darker with more variation, especially because we're getting rid of the stone coping, but am willing to compromise on it. I'm really eager to see the tile options so I can start picking out waterline & spa colors!

Leonardo is pretty cool, it has marble like veins but is pretty light. We did Ivory for uniformity, silver had too many dark spots. I would go to a tile store or distributor yourself the builder doesnt always have all the options. SCP in charlotte, best tile and walker zanger are where we went.

Reactions: darceync
While we were on vacation last week, we got HOA and financing approvals! We met with our PB yesterday to tighten up some details on the contract and get that signed, and our pre-construction meeting is tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. The goal is to start digging within 7-10 days, or earlier if someone at the city permit office decides to approve us earlier.

Random-ish question -- we were thinking about adding an outdoor camera system as part of future security/liability stuff but also to time-lapse video of our build. Nest vs. Ring? We have Nest thermostats in our home currently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While we were on vacation last week, we got HOA and financing approvals! We met with our PB yesterday to tighten up some details on the contract and get that signed, and our pre-construction meeting is tomorrow (Wednesday) evening. The goal is to start digging within 7-10 days, or earlier if someone at the city permit office decides to approve us earlier.

Random-ish question -- we were thinking about adding an outdoor camera system as part of future security/liability stuff but also to time-lapse video of our build. Nest vs. Ring? We have Nest thermostats in our home currently.
We have the arlo camera system...Im very happy with it.....

@kimkats I know you were wanting a photo of our backyard, and I finally had a chance to walk out and take one this morning! I tried to take a panoramic from my back deck so you could see the size of our yard, but it is too big for an upload. ?‍♀️

The 1st pic is taken from the very back corner of the yard before the slope drops-off. The fence will likely follow the edge, so it is a little more wedge-shaped than the rendering shows. You can also see how much easy access the machinery will have when they come out! And then our lot is built up on a grade, which slopes away from the house and is surrounded by trees - and the PB is just going to dump the dirt back there (which we're fine with).

Only 1 bordering neighbor, 1.7 acres backing up to a creek.... I'm ready for my oasis!

Attachments

• Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 105
  • Pool_011.jpg
    Pool_011.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Slope.jpg
    Slope.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 101
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your back yard!!! It is purrfect for a pool and nature watching at the same time. Do you get many deer and other wildlife visiting?

You say they are dumping the dirt back there. Will you have someone level it out of just let it lay where it falls?

Kim:kim:

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your back yard!!! It is purrfect for a pool and nature watching at the same time. Do you get many deer and other wildlife visiting?

You say they are dumping the dirt back there. Will you have someone level it out of just let it lay where it falls?

We get so many deer around us - they wander all over and even hang out in our front yard in the mornings - I’ve stood no more than 20 feet away from them and had a staring contest ?

So after our pre-construction meeting this evening, we’ll likely not have a ton of “leftover” dirt, as a lot will be used to level out the slope for the pool. What they do have, they’ll dump off the back and construction grade it for us.

And of course, we made a couple changes to the pool already - added stone columns to build up the height of our pavilion by 2’ and added a step to the tanning ledge so we can get a full 10” of water depth on the ledge instead of the shallower one originally spec’ed. ???

That all looks like it will be amazing. I found a slight upgrade you'll need for the SWG. The IC40 will have to run almost all day to keep up with that many gallons. Go for the IC60 and it wont have to be run or replaced as often. It should only be around $200 more and that is small potatoes with the scope of your project.

The step in on the shelf is a great idea! It will make it even easier to get in and out AND have the depth you want!

Stone columns?? That will be so pretty!

Will you get some sod/grass seed to put on the dirt once everything is done?

We have LOTS of deer also as well as otters that come and swim & eat frogs from our pond! Our 'shep used to love to stand with the deer in the evening as they grazed in the yard. He was almost as big as the smaller ones LOL Our current dog does not really care about them.

One thought on the back side fence location. We found that with our fence being located down the slope, it creates a great viewing experience from the pool or pool deck because you can't see the fence on the downhill side of the pool. So it is like the fence isn't there. Here's a picture to explain better. They used a lot of the dig dirt right below the pool since it was a bout 3' above grade on that side. We still have a nice play area below the fence and I landscaped everything inside the fence.

That all looks like it will be amazing. I found a slight upgrade you'll need for the SWG. The IC40 will have to run almost all day to keep up with that many gallons. Go for the IC60 and it wont have to be run or replaced as often. It should only be around $200 more and that is small potatoes with the scope of your project.
I just talked to our PB about that - we're at 20k gallons (pool & spa) combined b/c we're doing an extended shallow end with a steeper drop-off to the deep end, so the size is a bit misleading. He's certain that the IC40 would do just fine and that upgrading to the IC60 would be a $300 upgrade but it would barely run at full capacity. If the rule of thumb was a SWCG ~2x the pool capacity, it appears we are right in line with that.

The step in on the shelf is a great idea! It will make it even easier to get in and out AND have the depth you want!
Stone columns?? That will be so pretty!
Will you get some sod/grass seed to put on the dirt once everything is done?
We have LOTS of deer also as well as otters that come and swim & eat frogs from our pond! Our 'shep used to love to stand with the deer in the evening as they grazed in the yard. He was almost as big as the smaller ones LOL Our current dog does not really care about them.
Yeah - after being at the resort in Cancun last week and feeling the difference between a 6" depth and a 10" depth, we definitely wanted a deeper shelf. We also changed the 360* spa from a 12.5* negative edge to a flat edge with a slightly rolled interior to make getting in and out easier for everyone. For the stone columns, they'll match the ones on the front of the house to truly integrate the look, and it will give us enough height in the pavilion to drop down a nice-sized fan and drop a tv-mount from the ceiling so we can watch football.

Funny about the sod... we always thought the pool project was a few years off, so last year, my husband and I put down sod in our backyard ourselves (including the grading!) with the help of some very good friends. We did about 5000 sqft in an afternoon. And now we're digging it all up, haha. We did add an allowance into our contract for our sod guy to come back out and lay new down once we're done - we estimated 3200 sqft via the PB program, but spec'd 4000 sqft in our contract. And thankfully he's bringing guys to do it this time. We'll also have 10 1-ton boulders to use around the property as hardscaping that we'll strategically place to create planters and help the grotto look more natural.

Will your equipment be on the backside of house or on the side (outside of fence as the picture renders)?
It will be on the side, as it is in the photos. We'll clear out part of our flower bed that is there and possibly relocate the hostas to the back of our deck where we have a shady spot.

One thought on the back side fence location. We found that with our fence being located down the slope, it creates a great viewing experience from the pool or pool deck because you can't see the fence on the downhill side of the pool. So it is like the fence isn't there. Here's a picture to explain better. They used a lot of the dig dirt right below the pool since it was a bout 3' above grade on that side. We still have a nice play area below the fence and I landscaped everything inside the fence.
We've talked about dropping the fence down the hill, but that will very quickly blow our budget, as nice as it looks. As it is, we have to get an additional 30 lnft (~$600) of fencing above what we originally estimated, b/c we want it to go to the edge of the slope to leave room at the back of the pool area to play cornhole. Hubby also talked about expanding it out from the left side of the house (equipment pad side) to have more of that space inside the fence line - more fence... though I'm opposed to that b/c that's where the kids play soccer, and I'd prefer they weren't running/chasing the ball in the pool area.

Glad you got the exact gallons from the PB. Things like the extended shallow end or sun ledge could drastically reduce the gallons but when I saw 25X40 I thought ‘holy Crud that’s a lot of water’.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.