Pool Quote-So close but still questions

Feb 2, 2016
Houston, Texas
UPDATE & EDIT: I added New Question at end of thread regarding the depth profile.

Hey everyone, I'm new here posting but have lurked off and on for a couple years. I initially met with some pool builders in March/April and am finally moving to an actual contract. I'd love it and appreciate it if anyone could look over my proposal & drawing and point anything out I should consider. I do want to change the depth to 4ft-7/8ft instead of the 3.5-6 listed.

I still have a couple questions.
1. Regarding the SWG, is that instead of equipment listed on the proposal or would it be in addition to? I'm still a little confused about all the equipment but thinking once I see it all it will make sense.
2. If I want a robot cleaner and order my own as I've read here to do, do I just ask my PB to remove a cleaner from the proposal entirely? Will they do that?
3. My PB has included PebbleTec or Pebble Sheen in the bid, but I have big texture issues and am concerned about pebbles. Also, I just really like a whiter look to the pool surface. I'm considering just plaster. I know someone who recently got plaster with color additives? but not really sure of a technical term/name for it. What is that called and what would I ask for from my PB? Alternatively, any advice regarding pebble vs plaster?

Thanks so much! I'll update my signature with the pool specs but forgot what I need to include.

Attachments

• Stone 9.30 mrkup1.pdf
    591.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Stone 6_005.jpg
    Stone 6_005.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
1. Regarding the SWG, is that instead of equipment listed on the proposal or would it be in addition to? I'm still a little confused about all the equipment but thinking once I see it all it will make sense.

Delete - Chlorination: 1 Powerclean Inline VS Chlorinator
Change- Intellicenter I8PS Pool/Spa Control w/o SCG (no salt) to include SWG

How many gallons will your pool be? We recommend you have a SWG that is 2X the size of your pool. I think an IC40 for a 40K pool will be too small for you. Get an IC60 cell for a 60K pool.

2. If I want a robot cleaner and order my own as I've read here to do, do I just ask my PB to remove a cleaner from the proposal entirely? Will they do that?

Delete - Pentair Kreepy Racer Cleaner
Add - a 120V GFCI outlet near the pool to plug the robot into

3. My PB has included PebbleTec or Pebble Sheen in the bid, but I have big texture issues and am concerned about pebbles. Also, I just really like a whiter look to the pool surface. I'm considering just plaster. I know someone who recently got plaster with color additives? but not really sure of a technical term/name for it. What is that called and what would I ask for from my PB? Alternatively, any advice regarding pebble vs plaster?

There are many other pool finishes to choose from. Look at

Wet Edge

Diamond Brite

CL Industries Finishes

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome out of lurkdom :)

I'd lose the chlorinator and put in the SWG for sure!

And zip off the cleaner and ask for a proper outlet be placed in an appropriate spot for use by a robot. Its nice if it can be in a sheltered area or around the equipment pad, yet still close enough that the 50-60' cord reaches. In the patio area or garden bed.

I think a simple plaster finish (almost silky feeling) is preferable (to me) over pebbles. I have tender tootsies too!

Maddie :flower:

Delete - Chlorination: 1 Powerclean Inline VS Chlorinator
Change- Intellicenter I8PS Pool/Spa Control w/o SCG (no salt) to include SWG

How many gallons will your pool be? We recommend you have a SWG that is 2X the size of your pool. I think an IC40 for a 40K pool will be too small for you. Get an IC60 cell for a 60K pool.

Delete - Pentair Kreepy Racer Cleaner
Add - a 120V GFCI outlet near the pool to plug the robot into

There are many other pool finishes to choose from. Look at

Wet Edge

Diamond Brite

CL Industries Finishes

I will look up those other finishes, thank you.

If I delete the kreepy racer with plans to use a robot, is there anything special I need if I later decide to use a kreepy racer type cleaner?
I already have outlets on the nearby patio, which is closer than the equipment pad will be. Plus we have asked to run electrical to the far side of the pool for a future cabana. I think either of those will be close enough but will ask.

My simple calculations have the pool at 27,000 gallons when I change the water depth. I used some online tool to determine that. So still go with an IC60?

Thank you Zippy for the plaster love. I feel like the odd man out around here as everyone wants the pebbles. But I like the whiter lighter look. Although a friend said he thinks our city water is greenish and that could affect the pool water look? I like a nice aqua but not green!

If I delete the kreepy racer with plans to use a robot, is there anything special I need if I later decide to use a kreepy racer type cleaner?
I already have outlets on the nearby patio, which is closer than the equipment pad will be. Plus we have asked to run electrical to the far side of the pool for a future cabana. I think either of those will be close enough but will ask.

I don't think the PB will give you much of a credit for deleting the Karly. If you want to keep your options open then either leave it in or delete the cleaner but have the builder install the plumbing for it.

My simple calculations have the pool at 27,000 gallons when I change the water depth. I used some online tool to determine that. So still go with an IC60?

At over 20K the IC40 woudl work but the IC60 is a better choice.

Thank you Zippy for the plaster love. I feel like the odd man out around here as everyone wants the pebbles. But I like the whiter lighter look. Although a friend said he thinks our city water is greenish and that could affect the pool water look? I like a nice aqua but not green!

I was in a pebble pool at the Hilton in Cabo and that convinced me I don't want the roughness in my pool. There have been a few folks here who never experienced a pebble pool before they installed it and they regretted the decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: stonehenge
-Ask the builder for the gallons/volume... that 3d design program will tell them the exact amount of water.

-As a pebble finish owner, it is not terrible, but it is not "smooth" either. I LOVE the look and wouldn't do anything without pebbles in it, but given a second chance, I might add some $$$ and get the polished stone instead of just the inlaid stone. Wet Edge sells a "Primera Stone" product which is blown in like normal stone, but then they polish the surface to a smooth finish just like plaster. You get the look of pebbles and the feel of smooth plaster. Probably worth the cost if you really don't like the pebble surface feel.

I don't think the PB will give you much of a credit for deleting the Karly. If you want to keep your options open then either leave it in or delete the cleaner but have the builder install the plumbing for it.

I disagree. If ever the robot was on the fritz I'd just vacuum manually with a skimmer plate to the skimmer instead of opening up plumbing to put a pressure/suction side cleaner in. One less bit of plumbing that is just taking up space "just in case" IMO. And I'd get a new robot!

Reactions: Pool_Medic
Thanks y'all! I haven't figured out how to use the "quotes" to reply to so hopefully I address everything.

I'm going to look at some Wet Edge & Hydrazzo samples with the PB. I think one of the polished or smoother stones is what I'm wanting. So thank you for that!

PB said it is roughly 20,500 gallons. They listed the IC40. I will ask about the price difference for the IC60 and get a definite gallon size before signing.

I didn't realize the other cleaners (not a robot) have special plumbing involved. I figured we'd just use it a season or two and move to a robot if hate the other. I may still do this in case for some reason we don't like a robot. IDK, that's probably silly bc who hates a robot haha. I'll ask the PB and see their advice and ask my neighbors what they use.

I am wanting an aqua water color- not true blue. Anyone have that and recommend their finish color?

For aqua colored water look to the more tan colored surfaces.

Get the IC60, hands down!

Take the pool builders word on the robot with a grain of salt... he has profits in mind first and foremost. Go ask other pool owners you know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey everyone, I'm back!
We signed the contract and finally received all our permits early this week. The pool is staked and digging is currently scheduled to start next Thursday.

I ended up choosing the Wet Edge Lapis Blue for the pebble finish. I saw one in person and it was beautiful. I still need to pick out the waterline tile.

I do have another question before we start regarding the pool floor profile. The pool will be +/- 19ft wide by 35ft long. I initially had water depths from 4-7ft, but asked for a small landing off the steps (approx 5ft linear) at 3.5ft so my kids can stand and reach, and I asked for a profile drawing. I received the attached and it's not what I envisioned at all. I'm going to talk to them but I'd like some ideas/opinions first.

1. The 3.5 ft is too long at 12ft linear, so that needs to change. And if the 3.5ft isn't practical I will just do 4ft min.
2. Is this normal for the depth to just be a long gradual slope? I envisioned an area that was somewhat flat at 4-5ft, then a slope, then an area of "deep end" at 7ft.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of floor profile I should request? Thanks again! I'll start a new post for the actual build when it starts, woohoo!

Attachments

• Stone 7 Deck.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Stone Depth Grade.JPG
    Stone Depth Grade.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Stone 8 Construction Plan_003.jpg
    Stone 8 Construction Plan_003.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 37
Well, I'm *not* an architect :mrgreen: but if I'm reading that plan right it still looks like a seriously shallow pool? It looks like the water depth will max out at about 4.5' with the wall height being 6'. Is that the plan? I was under the impression you were going deeper?

That back piece on the right side of the pic is the in pool bench, which is 18 in of water and wraps one side and back of the pool. Too pic shows depths, while bottom shows lengths of the depths and slopes. There's 3ft length of 6ft. The middle of the pool is 4.5, but slopes for 4.5 ft to 6ft.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.