Pool pump

Mar 14, 2017
Excel al
I have been having trouble for past month. My pump won’t fully prime. I’ve had a new pump installed and leaf catcher but still doin the same thing. Not fully priming. It’ll pump but the water in the leaf catcher won’t fill up. I’ve had all the plumbing replaced to no avail. Could it be something underground and should i call American leak detection

It's possible you have a suction side air leak preventing the system from filling fully with water. By leaf catcher, are you referring to the pump basket (pot) under the clear lid? Have you ensured the o-ring under that clear lid is lubed well with pool silicone?

They guy who installed the new pump said i May have a stopped up line. He attempted to use a tool but the tool broke he got aggravated and told me to call American leak detection
I think American leak detection just finds leaks and won’t fix them. I had a stopped up line and most plumbers refuse to use their camera in pool plumbing to look. Said they can’t risk a $10k camera.
Can you turn off your inputs one at a time and see if it works from one skimmer maybe?

The only way I cleared my blockage was to take my pump and reverse the plumbing and blew water down the inlets. Mine wasn’t completely stopped up so the normal pressure tricks wouldn’t work

I think American leak detection just finds leaks and won’t fix them. I had a stopped up line and most plumbers refuse to use their camera in pool plumbing to look. Said they can’t risk a $10k camera.
Can you turn off your inputs one at a time and see if it works from one skimmer maybe?

The only way I cleared my blockage was to take my pump and reverse the plumbing and blew water down the inlets. Mine wasn’t completely stopped up so the normal pressure tricks wouldn’t work
I had American leak earlier this year for a leak. They came out found the leak then came back to fix it. They were great. 1400 later but they are very good

Reactions: markayash
I had American leak earlier this year for a leak. They came out found the leak then came back to fix it. They were great. 1400 later but they are very good
They came out and found a plumbing leak for me but told me to have plumber come back and fix it or do it myself. Charges me $345 but worth it.
I think it’s a franchise so maybe all a little different.

Before you call and spend lots of $$$$, I would check the easy things you can do yourself first just in case. Make sure that new pump lid (o-ring) was lubed. They don't come pre-lubed, so if the installer didn't do it, that could be your problem. For the potential stoppage, you can buy a simple bladder pressure device (i.e. Drain King) or like the one below to put on the end of your garden hose and push water backwards from the pump inlet back to the pool skimmer to see if something can be dislodged.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have also cleared a few minor blockages by closing all the inlet valve for a few seconds and opening one up fast a few times. It will usually cause a strong suction and pull out any small leafs.
Good luck finding and clearing the issue!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Briefly skimming this thread, it seems no one ever suggested you verify the leak. That should (even now) be your first step.

Confirm that you do or don't have a leak with the bucket test. If you are not familiar with it, post back and we can explain it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.