Pool Pump Wiring

I'll just run another hot, neutral, and ground, 12 guage for a 110V circuit as well just in case. That should cover a SWG if I decide to add one one the future. Thanks so much for all the info, it was a huge help.

Code requires a convenience outlet.

a. At least one (1) 15 – 20 ampere convenience receptacle must be located no closer than 6’ feet but no further than 20’ feet from the outside of the pool wall. (Can be existing and/or wired with any approved wiring method)
b. Convenience receptacle (outlet) shall separate from the pool pump receptacle wiring.
c. Convenience receptacle (outlet) must be GFCI (Ground Fault) protected.
d. Convenience receptacle (outlet) shall an applicable weatherproof or damp cover were exposed or
located outdoors has applicable such has closed when a cord is plugged in, UL Listed / tested (In use type cover).

Code requires a convenience outlet.

a. At least one (1) 15 – 20 ampere convenience receptacle must be located no closer than 6’ feet but no further than 20’ feet from the outside of the pool wall. (Can be existing and/or wired with any approved wiring method)
b. Convenience receptacle (outlet) shall separate from the pool pump receptacle wiring.
c. Convenience receptacle (outlet) must be GFCI (Ground Fault) protected.
d. Convenience receptacle (outlet) shall an applicable weatherproof or damp cover were exposed or
located outdoors has applicable such has closed when a cord is plugged in, UL Listed / tested (In use type cover).
Yeah I was planning on running another circuit up with these 2 for an outlet and possibly lighting. There'd be 3 circuits going to the pool area, 1 for the pump, 1 for SWG, and 1 for outlet/lighting. If I don't use the SWG then lighting will be separate. It's not for in pool lighting, just lighting in the area.

For your spare wiring run 4 wires so you have the option of 120 or 240V.

For your spare wiring run 4 wires so you have the option of 120 or 240V.
Alright, I will run 3 Neutrals, 3 Grounds, and 5 Hots, All 12 Gauge. Looks like 3/4" Conduit would be enough based on the chart you supplied but I will probably go bigger just to make things easier and just in case for the future. Thanks again for all your help!

I would go to a local electrical supply house.

Just like everything else at home depot/walmart. The price is right but the quality isnt. Ive had many outlets and switches fail much earlier than they should have from HD. But they were open on Sunday when i was doing my projects and cheaper than the local electric supply store. I image wires/cables would be the same at either. Whatever you put on those wires isnt.

I've been reassessing my pool area and thinking I might be better off building an enclosure for the pump and equipment, which I don't currently have. Since I'm probably going to do this, I'm thinking what you guys mentioned about running a small subpanel up there might just be a better option with having to run wires. So I guess now my question is, what would i need for a breaker for a subpanel and what size wire? I want to run a 220V pump, I think I've decided against an SWG, but I may want want a propane heater. Also I would need to be able to add the circuit for the receptacle for service in the area that was mentioned beforehand, and I would like to be able to have lights in the area in the future, not in the pool but in the surrounding area. Would this wire in the underground conduit need to be THWN since it's not going straight to the pump?

You still need THWN wire in conduit to a subpanel. 40A or 60A breaker in the main panel to the subpanel. Wire size depends on length of the run.

I'll go with the 60A amp then, I got the trench dug up, with added wire on both ends it's going to be about a 100' run. Is there a chart or calculation to follow to determine the wire size for that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This chart says you need #6 copper for 50A 220V 100’ run. For 60A i would think it would be #4 copper.

You may want to ask a licensed electrician as there can be different ways of determining best wire size for a long run.

I did talk to one about when I ran my 100 amp panel to my garage, that was also a 100' run from my main panel. He had said #2 SER aluminum for 100 amps, #4 SER for 70 amps, and #6 SER for 50 Amps. Is there any problem with running aluminum? I could do #2 Aluminum which I believe is also less expensive than copper.

Aluminum wiring requires some special handling in their terminations. That’s why I suggested you consult a licensed electrician to understand all the complexities and tradeoffs.

While he has THWN going through conduit to a subpanel to the enclosed pool structure, is in the inside of that structure considered a wet environment? I believe it then becomes an accessory structure per NEC, correct?

In that case, can Romex (NM) wiring be used from that subpanel to various pool equipment within that accessory structure which isn't in direct contact with water (e.g. almost everything except the pool pump)? Presumably this would require the walls to be covered (e.g. plywood). The challenge seems like most pool equipment is meant to be surface mounted, so there likely would be conduit from the panel until behind the wall covering/plywood, correct?

The pool pump would require something like a liquid tight conduit to be used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.