Pool pump suggestions

RyanWendell

Mar 14, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hello all,

My pool pump died and I’m looking to replace it since the cost should be recouped in energy efficiency.

Quick math says my current pump costs $776 a year to run at 9 hours a day.

The Hayward Super Pump VS on lowest setting running 24/7/365 would be $104 a year. Or roughly $36 for 9 hours a day.

What I don’t know is how realistic running it that slow really is or what other factors I should consider.

Thanks!

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Ryan,

I would not suggest running a VS pump at less than 1000 RPM...

For reference, I have a 3 hp IntelliFlo VS pump that I run 24/7/365 for less than $20 bucks a month..

Thanks,

Jim R.

anotherpyr

Jun 22, 2007
Columbia, MD
Typically if you lower the flow rate you run the pump longer to get the same filtering. The beauty of the dual speed and variable speed pumps is that you can run longer, filter more for less money because of the efficiency.

if I were to guess the reason for not going below 1000 rpm I’d say it’s due to skimming.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Ryan,

You run the pump for three reasons..

1. To generate the amount of chlorine you need from either a SWCG or a tab feeder. Neither works well at low flow..

2. To skim your pool.. It depends on your pool, but in general skimmers do not work as well with low flow.

3. To mix chemicals after adding them.. Low flow is good enough to do this..

I run 24/7 just because I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and I like to skim all the time.. It is just a personal thing and there is no real valid reason or requirement to do it that way.. It also makes programming my automation easier and I never have to worry about freeze control in the winter..

My point was not that I run 24/7, but that even doing that, the cost to run a VS pump is pretty low.

Thanks,

Jim R.