Pool pump died on me

nicsno

May 7, 2020
Houston
When I went to turn on the pump yesterday morning I heard a pop, saw smoke coming out the motor , then nothing. So now it looks like I'll be needing a new pump. I would like a VS but I have no clue on what would be good so any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated! I have attached pics of my current dead one. 20200626_102342.jpg

Attachments

• 20200626_102346.jpg
    20200626_102346.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200626_102357.jpg
    20200626_102357.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a 2.0HP motor without a SF multiplier.

I assume you are happy with the performance of your current pump. If so, I'd be hesitant to go any smaller. You can always dial a more powerful motor down, but not a smaller one up. Here is the Energy Star listing of VS pumps sorted by energy efficiency. Look for something at least 2.0HP or greater. Availability, pricing, and the scheduling/timing controls are things to consider. Are you going to do a DIY install? Some manufacturers penalize the warranty of "non-professional" installs. Also, check for rebates from your state for installing a VS pump. I see you are in Houston, you may need a "residential contractor near you" to qualify for such rebates. Check the fine print.

Last edited:
Probably not a DIY for me, I bought the house recently in April. I wouldn't know how to change the capacitor. But to me it sounded like the motor was on it's last legs. It was pretty loud. I would like to not go close to 1k for this.

A straight swap (if you have pump unions on the current pump) is the Superflo VS I believe.
Contact Inyopools for availability and if it is a straight swap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.