NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
To start, thank you in advance and thank you for all the great advice I've been reading for some time now. I have an ~28,000 IG pool that was here with the house I purchased 5 years ago. Liner is 5 years old but systems have to all be at least 10-15 years old and that is starting to show. I am having a problem with the pool pump now and could really use some advice on upgrading. I'm getting a quote from a local pool company but am also capable of DIY.

Problem: Pool motor (1HP Emerson 1081 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 pump) now shuts off after a short time running from overheating. I took it off and checked the obvious like an obstruction (but didn't take motor completely apart). It either needs a repair, or more likely given age, to be replaced. I also have a feeling it is undersized. Ever since I have owned the pool there is usually not enough suction for the pool vacuum (so we have a robotic polaris, that is currently getting repaired), and sometimes there is spotty pressure for the water fountain and/or the side jets by a bench. Probably best to upgrade at this point. Ideally it would nice to control via an app, but doesn't have to be. I know a lot of people like the Pentair VSF. Could use some advice/suggestions as I need to do this ASAP if I want the family to enjoy swimming Memorial Day weekend.

Upgrade? The DE filter grids are going (have some holes). I either try and replace those grids with new ones or I move to something else. I've had several friends around here in NJ suggest switching to a cartridge filter. It doesn't clean the water down to the level a DE filter can, but they have said they are easier to maintain (smaller filters to take out and hose off a few times per year). Any suggestions here?

Salt conversion? Do I take this opportunity, while I'm redoing the plumbing especially, to convert to salt? I have had PH and chlorine problems in the past, in part probably because of the use of those darn tabs (I've since learned my lesson reading here, but still have to work on the PH and chlorine a lot). Would love some thoughts.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the advice!

Welcome to the forum!
You will find plenty of support for a VS pump here. You might also be able to go with a two speed motor only if your wet end is OK. You can call Inyopools with your pump and motor specs and see what they recommend. They also have full pumps, including VS pumps. If DIY they give have a warranty that the majors do not, if that matters to you. If money and warranty are no object, then the Pentair 011018 is the gold standard of VS pumps.
Every filter has its pros and cons. You cannot really go wrong with any type you select.
Saltwater, well, most of us are really big fans of that. If you are replacing motor too, you might try to be sure you get a motor that has a relay in it that will control the power to the SWCG. That way you would not need a timer on the SWCG. All SWCG's should have the power removed from them when the pump is not running.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you! I called inyopools and they recommended bumping up the HP to 1.5HP. If my filter is the size we think it is (72sq. ft - I have to open it and confirm), then the 1HP is undersized and explains some of the pressure issues. They also recommended staying with DE if I'm OK maintaining it, just replacing the aging grids. I'm looking into the differences between their Pure Line pumps and Pentair, but I'm definitely leaning towards VS to set this up so it's right for the next 10+ years. And thank you for the saltwater suggestion as it relates to the pump/motor. I'm definitely looking into that.

Appreciate the help!

Great - realize filters filter better at low flow rates. So your filtering is not an issue of a smaller pump.

Inyo pools had said that about the pump size, so good to know that it filters better at low flow rates. I decided to go with the Pentair VS pump so don't think I can go wrong. Local pool company that I've used before is coming to install it tomorrow! Will be great to get pool back for the holiday weekend and see what impact a good pump has on everything...

I'll likely just replace the grids on the DE filter for ~$150 as a new pentair cartridge filter would've cost well over $1k installed.

Holding off on the switch to salt at the moment. The pentair version installed is very expensive ($2k+). Inyo pools has their version which is much cheaper and I want to learn about the options (and read up on this forum) before making that kind of investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.