Pool plumbing question

BuxtonFam

Feb 25, 2021
NJ
Good afternoon everyone. I am so glad I found this forum. This may sound like a silly question to most of you but this will be our first pool. So I recently purchased a home that has a 16x32 rectangular pool and approx 20,000 gallons with 1 skimmer, bottom drain and two returns. It appears the plumbing it schedule 40 pvc (1 1/2"); however, we rebuilt the equipment pad and purchased a new intellifo vs pump. The old filter, a Hayward Pro Grid 4820 has a 2" 4-way valve on it. My question is should I 1. replace the valve with a 1 1/2" 4 way multiport valve or 2. go from 1 1/2" to 2" for pump intake and remain at 2" plumbing from pump to filter to salt cell and then reduce to 1 1/2" for returns?

thank you

Reactions: Danielhoffman3891
Welcome to TFP.
I would keep the existing 2" pipe on the pad and just adapter to the 1 1/2" suction and return lines. This saves purchasing a new valve. You may want to post a picture of your equipment pad and your pool. Also, please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is and it will save time repeating it each time you have a question.

I vote for...

2. go from 1 1/2" to 2" for pump intake and remain at 2" plumbing from pump to filter to salt cell and then reduce to 1 1/2" for returns?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.