Pool Plumbing question

Crowley

Oct 29, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Hello. Hoping for some insight from the community.

I have a 33' above ground pool. The filter and pump currently sit next to the pool and I've hard plumbed with 1-1/2" PVC. I run at about 10psi with a 1.5 hp pump.

We're decking around the pool and I want to move the filter and pump about 45' away so I don't have to get under the deck to add chlorine. I plan on using 2" for the long runs underground and reducers to existing fittings like the bottom of the skimmer basket, chlorinator, etc. I assume they will be a bottleneck of sorts, but I'm not sure how much. Since I already have 1-1/2" unions and the chlorinator on the small runs between the pump and filter, I thought I'd leave them for now too. Is this a bad idea? Should I just replace it all and use as much 2" as possible? I guess I could plumb it test the pressure and replace what I can after, but I was hoping an expert would be able to provide some insight.

Thanks!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
There should be no issue moving the equipment. There is not all that much loss in the piping. You do need to be sure the equipment stays well below the surface of the water in the pool as above ground pumps are not self priming.

You do realize the use of trichlor in your puck chlorinator on a daily basis is not recommended.
Read How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Crowley

Oct 29, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Thank you, mknauss. The equipment will remain well below the water surface. I alternate between liquid chlorine and the trichlor and have been staying pretty well in balance. I'll review the article though. Thanks!