Pool plastered 2 weeks ago

Yes, He said he would redo it. That started yesterday, the same guys showed up, cut under the tile and around the mosaics. Left at 1:00 and did not return. Contractor said they will be back Monday to apply bond coat and Tuesday to plaster. I'm really worried about the same crew doing the work. I'm going to try and find info on uploading pictures because I must be doing something wrong,

Welcome to TFP:wave: Hold on there and let's see if we can get someone to help you with step by step instructions in uploading and posting pics. I would attempt however I may not be able to convey all the steps properly:cheers: I would also suggest looking at this thread Posting Photo's Tutorial

This looks like a night time pic, however I will tell you that nightime pics will show the imperfections ( imperfections are lessened if the plaster finish has pebbles IMHO) as the pool plaster is smothered by hand trowels which is normal. What does it look like during the day?

You should see much less imperfections during the day. Also brushing in the first 30 days while plaster cures will help. Please bring all your concerns to the PB as he has specific instructions during the start up. Hope this helps:cheers:

You should see much less imperfections during the day. Also brushing in the first 30 days while plaster cures will help. Please bring all your concerns to the PB as he has specific instructions during the start up. Hope this helps:cheers:
These are pictures taken during the day. You can still see the striping and imperfections. These were taken at 2 weeks and we were brushing 3 x per day. 20180407043556_IMG_0321_1.jpg20180407043550_IMG_0320_1.jpg20180407043723_IMG_0329_1.jpg

schnoodlesam IMHO It looks fine to me however let me see if we can get some more eyes on this:cool: More eyes are better than my 2 ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Who took care of the chemical balancing of the water? That is a MAJOR part of good plaster.

Kim TFP MOD

Good call Kim. Chemical balancing is key to fresh plaster. My PB was responsible for the first 30 days, that is he did not want me to do anything with the pool EXCEPT we had to brush the pool 2-3 times per day till he turned the pool over to us. We are very happy with the way our pool turned out. Hope this helps:cheers:

Good call Kim. Chemical balancing is key to fresh plaster. My PB was responsible for the first 30 days, that is he did not want me to do anything with the pool EXCEPT we had to brush the pool 2-3 times per day till he turned the pool over to us. We are very happy with the way our pool turned out. Hope this helps:cheers:
Actually the contractor was ASP (American Swimming Pools) They do pool cleaning and resurfacing also. We signed a contract with him to handle all the chemicals and weekly cleaning. We wanted to make sure that the chemicals were correct. He came everyday for 4 days and then was going to come weekly. We had a pool when we lived in Orlando and it was very smooth everywhere. We had it for 20 years without any problems at all. This one has rough spots everywhere. If you expand the pictures you can see all of the roughness. The subcontractor plastered the pool one day but didnt put any water in until the next evening. He was in the pool on the new plaster trying to smooth out the areas around the mosaics and put the valves and light in. Everything I have read said the water needs to start as soon as the plastering is finished (the same day). I appreciate everyone's comments because I want to know what to look out for when it is redone.

I am going to share some links I have been putting together from some plaster experts. One of them goes against what you just said about adding water right away.

-https://watershapes.com/professional-watershaping/a-plastering-watch-list.html

A snap shot of the different kinds of start up:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

The best kind of start up but harder to do and very time consuming:

A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT they leave out the part about waiting at least 6 hours before adding water to the pool.

Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council

Talk to you PB and see what his take is on this information!

Kim TFP MOD

I am going to share some links I have been putting together from some plaster experts. One of them goes against what you just said about adding water right away.

-https://watershapes.com/professional-watershaping/a-plastering-watch-list.html

A snap shot of the different kinds of start up:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

The best kind of start up but harder to do and very time consuming:

A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT they leave out the part about waiting at least 6 hours before adding water to the pool.

Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council

Talk to you PB and see what his take is on this information!

Kim TFP MOD
Thank you for all of your info. They used NPT Quartzscape Super Blue for the plastering. I watched several you tube videos of crews doing the plastering. None of them were the same. Its all so confusing when there is so much different info out there. After some of you say it looks ok then I think maybe I was expecting too much. I didnt ask the contractor to redo the job, he said it was unacceptable and said he would start over. My biggest concern was the same crew doing it.

It maybe that his crew is not properly trained. I know that when we had our pool plastered the water went in the same day, however it was acid washed first and then they removed most of the acid and then filled it. I can't seem to remember how long it sat before they added the water. Good luck and let us know how the replaster job goes:cheers:

If it helps with what others are describing:

Plaster should be smooth to the touch. No pock marks or "moon craters" of any kind. No scratches or trowel marks or foot prints or sharp ridges.

But if you shine a light across a plaster surface, like from a pool light, you'll see that it is not flat. It is applied by hand, not with a machine or screed, and the application is subject to the skill of the plasterer. But even the best of them cannot make the surface "laser-level" flat. You'll see some subtle hills and valleys that are exaggerated by the shadows caused by the low angle of a pool light at night. And that affect is greatly lessoned, or completely eliminated from view, during the day, when the light is coming from above and ambient light is reflecting all around, eliminating the shadows. Generally speaking, you cannot feel these hills and valleys with your feet as you walk on them, unless you are really trying to. They won't be pronounced.

Perfectly smooth to the touch, but not perfectly flat to the eye.

That picture in post #5 looks to be the work of someone that is not at all good at their craft. That's not just the shadow affect, or a water balance issue (though both could also be at play). That is primarily just poor workmanship, and I wouldn't accept it in my pool. The pock marks, ridges, gouges, trowel marks... nope. The other glaring red flag: "He was in the pool on the new plaster trying to smooth out the areas around the mosaics..." A skilled plasterer does not need to come back the next day to fix up or smooth out his work. Plaster is best applied all at once, before any of it cures, not patched up at a later date, layer on layer.

It maybe that his crew is not properly trained. I know that when we had our pool plastered the water went in the same day, however it was acid washed first and then they removed most of the acid and then filled it. I can't seem to remember how long it sat before they added the water. Good luck and let us know how the replaster job goes:cheers:
I believe they did acid wash it right before plastering. We just went out a few times but this time we will be outside the entire time. Was yours only trowled or did he smooth it with a sponge or towels. Ours was only trowled. I thought that might have caused dome of the problems.

If it helps with what others are describing:

Plaster should be smooth to the touch. No pock marks or "moon craters" of any kind. No scratches or trowel marks or foot prints or sharp ridges.

But if you shine a light across a plaster surface, like from a pool light, you'll see that it is not flat. It is applied by hand, not with a machine or screed, and the application is subject to the skill of the plasterer. But even the best of them cannot make the surface "laser-level" flat. You'll see some subtle hills and valleys that are exaggerated by the shadows caused by the low angle of a pool light at night. And that affect is greatly lessoned, or completely eliminated from view, during the day, when the light is coming from above and ambient light is reflecting all around, eliminating the shadows. Generally speaking, you cannot feel these hills and valleys with your feet as you walk on them, unless you are really trying to. They won't be pronounced.

Perfectly smooth to the touch, but not perfectly flat to the eye.

That picture in post #5 looks to be the work of someone that is not at all good at their craft. That's not just the shadow affect, or a water balance issue (though both could also be at play). That is primarily just poor workmanship, and I wouldn't accept it in my pool. The pock marks, ridges, gouges, trowel marks... nope. The other glaring red flag: "He was in the pool on the new plaster trying to smooth out the areas around the mosaics..." A skilled plasterer does not need to come back the next day to fix up or smooth out his work. Plaster is best applied all at once, before any of it cures, not patched up at a later date, layer on layer.
Since ours has been empty since Thursday, this morning I got in and walked around. There were some places that really hurt my feet because it was so rough.I
Hope it doesnt hurt the pool to be empty that long. He was supposed to come back Thursday after his lunch but never did. Our PC said he was having problems. Thats so comforting. Hopefully he will be back tomorrow. Thank you for talking to me about this. This is our retirement home and we spent 8000 to have this work done. I think you should get the job you pay for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.