Jul 28, 2017
Tucson Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings,
I don’t get it, my plaster pool surface has a bumps that feel like sand paper. I used a pumice stone on the spa wall area and with much scrubbing small areas became smooth again. Do i need to replaster? By the way, pool water is crystal clear.
Although eyes burn and skin tightness when PH is 8+, is that the problem?

Today’s test results.
FC-3.0
CC-0.5
PH-7.5
TA-90
CH-425
CYA-50

I’ve been having a hard time keeping the ph down and chlorine above 3.0 . I use triclor in a Pentair Rainbow 300 automatic off-line chlorinator when I’m out of town. In a months time my CYA went from 40 to 50+. When I use 12.5 chlorine from pool store I use about a quart and a half every other day to keep FC at around 4. Sound ok?
As this is my first year with my pool any advice, comments are welcome, I have think skin! ?

P.S. I drained and refilled pool 2-11-18.

Was the plaster smooth when you drained it?
Were you maintaining the chemistry in the last 4 months or did you allow the pH to stay too high?

The recommended FC levels are a function of your CYA level according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You need to ensure the FC is above the minimum listed for your CYA at all times.

Thanks for responding.
Yes, plaster was smooth a silk last year. June-August 2017. I had a pool guy until we moved here and got settled. I started doing my own pool maintenance in December. No pool maintenance from January till I drained pool, my cya was over 120.

So, that did not answer whether the pool was smooth when drained in Feb.

If you left the pH too high, then you likely got calcium scaling started over the winter.

Full disclosure ... so did I over this past winter :shock:

I wish I could remember if it had scaling before I filled the pool. I think it probably did, I just didn’t pay attention to that, I will now.
So, the solution is drain and acid wash?

I happened to need to drain in the spring so I just pressure washed mine which got it all off the tiles. Now I am keeping my CSI on the negative side and brushing and I think it is dimishing. Mine is pebble, so I could just see small white dots on the pebbles. It is not rough enough for me to acid wash.

If yours is really bad then acid wash might be needed. Or lightly run wet/dry sandpaper over it.
I do not think you should drain the pool in this weather though.

That is interesting, mine was mostly on the tiles and sides.
My in-laws had the same thing as you where the bottom of their new plaster was rough after this past winter ... and they pay a company to do chemical maintenance :hammer:

What chemicals have you added?
Did you add any powders that may have settled on the floor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the same thing on my pool after my first or second winter. I didn’t realize that I needed to test and maintain the Ph during the winter. That should probably be emphasized in Pool School. For me it was over the sides of the pool and some of the benches. The bottom of the pool is fine (and I’m curious why that is so). Nobody but me notices the feel of the walls and I’ve decided to just ignore it. If the floor was afflicted I would try an acid wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.