pool plaster completed, no water to fill

Stic2it

Jul 30, 2019
Ijamsville, Md
Afternoon,
How long can the pool sit without water after plaster? I know typical pools should be filled within 24 hours of fill. We probably won’t get a truck tonight and the pool water folks aren’t coming anytime soon. I’ve always heard that water was supposed to start to fill immediately. They’ve already stressed my well and it’s barely putting out anything. This was yet another goof by my PB. I’m hoping and praying that we get water tomorrow. What will happen if it’s not filled for a while, also rain in the forecast in the very near future? I can’t even confirm water delivery!

Also should I start to fill if water can’t be run continuosly?
No. That will cause rings on the plaster.

Wait for the water delivery and deal with the PB on how it turns out.

Chlorine should fix that once you get the pool filled.

Grab a water sample and run the TF-100 tests except for CYA on it.

So, should I get my neighbor to start her up? Should I add my own sequestrant? I keep telling my myself they know what they’re doing but is the new plaster supposed to sit in that green water until Tuesday, when they come start it up?

Do I have to wait for pool school to really take over?

Yeah I read that, but I’m still asking the same question. My PB has screwed up every step. The pool water was filled in the dark, 5 hours after the scheduled time. My construction manager is a no go. He came a day before the initial plaster date, where I took off work to be here for a few days. Last talked to on Monday, stopped by to ensure everything looked good for plaster. Tuesday morning, I called, straight to voicemail, they stood me up. They rushed the plaster on Friday before all the rain. The sequestrant was supposed to be given to me by the construction manager on day of fill. He gave me the instructions on how to use but said, he would give it to me on day of fill. Someone was supposed to stop by Saturday morning....nope didn’t happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is nothing difficult about starting up a regular plaster finish. It is basic water testing and chemical management. Follow the startup directions for the levels during the first 28 days.

I asked you above to grab a water sample and run the TF-100 tests and see what your starting point is.

Yes, I have the levels at home. I should have posted them yesterday. I want to start balancing but I don’t know what if anything will cause warranty issues. It is raining cats and dogs but should stop around noon. I will get the latest levels and post.

Rather than lament your pool builders issues, I would take some action if that were my pool. A simple thing you can do is wet down the exposed sides with spray from a garden hose as many times daily (and night) as you can. What you are doing is trying to prevent permanent rings around your pool. That procedure may or may not help but it darn sure won't do any harm and will give you a project in between the multiple calls to your builder to get the job finished.

The green water is an easy fix.....ignore it for now but keep the sides of your pool wet!!

So your pump and filter has never been run?

You have to make sure all your valves are in the right position and everything in your filter is closed and tight. We don't know how your equipment was left. We can help you if you post pics of your equipment and valves. Your signature does not give us equipment details to know what you are dealing with.

We don't know if you have a sand filter and if the filter was loaded with sand; or a DE filter and if DE is loaded or needed at startup; or a cartridge filter and the cartridges are in place.

Be cautious if you don't understand the equipment.

Be cautious if you don't understand the equipment.

This +100. Have you owned a pool and are you familiar with starting pool equipment?

If there is any question, I would not turn on the equipment for fear of breaking something or voiding the warranty. There are much more less risky things you can do while waiting for your pool builder to officially startup:
- Test the pool water with a good test kit
- Add liquid chlorine, preferably right before you brush
- Brush the plaster
- Remove any debris from the skimmers with the shop vac
- Use a leaf net

Those are all good and easy things you can do to help your pool, and not risk damaging equipment or voiding any warranties.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.