Pool Pilot, Digital Nano - Low Amps: Cell?

Gregadaka

Jan 25, 2019
Florida
<Low Amps: Cell? >
I started seeing this message in the last few months. I'm guilty of not watching the pool closely as we've not been using it in the last few months. Eventually, I checked the SWG cell and there was a lot of limescale in it. I was able to get rid of most of the limescale by soaking it in vinegar. I continued to see the same error message. It was a bit low on salt (2040 ppm), so I added 120 lbs to get it up to 3070.
Now with the good salt concentration, I've still got the error and the SWG isn't making any chlorine either. I've had to top up with liquid chlorine while I mused over the problem.
Today, I was able to open the Digital Nano unit. I removed the main fuse under the transformer on the left to examine it. It looks fine (see pictures). Could the cell actually be on it's last legs? Or is it the PCB in the Digital Nano? Any ideas anyone?
Thanks!
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_104318.jpg
    IMG_20200310_104318.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200310_103739.jpg
    IMG_20200310_103739.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 19
How old is the cell?

What do you test the salinity with?

Check your volts and amps against this chart...

See page 44 at https://autopilot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Digital-Nano-Nano-LTP0086-Rev4-Current-5-11-17-.pdf

Enter Test Pool Pilot mode through the menu. Write down the salt level, water temperature, and cell volts and amps.
  • If the volts are 24-26, then the problem is usually caused by low salt, improperly connected, disconnected or loose cell cord, water less than 65°F (18.3°C), a scaled cell, or cell near end of life. Correct as appropriate.
  • If the volts are less than 20, then contact AquaCal AutoPilot, Inc.for assistance.

Hi Ajw24,
Thanks for your response!
I tested the salt with Aquacheck (3070).
From the Pool Pilot test I did just now:
Salt - 3200
Temperature - 75°
Volts - 28
Amps - 1.9
I'll check these figures on the chart you sent.
Greg

Well, checking the chart narrows it down to two areas - the power board or the cell. It's difficult to tell which of the two is faulty. I now appear to have three choices. Replace the cell ($300+) or replace the powerboard ($300+). The third option is to get a whole new Digital Nano kit and caboodle ($800+). What do the pros think?

Talk to the folks at saltpoolguys. They are good at diagnosing the autopilot systems.

Reactions: Gregadaka
How old is the cell? I'd call as Allen recommended and if they say it's the cell and it's not covered under warranty try cleaning more aggressively. You've got nothing to lose and might get a bit more out of it. Also please post a full set of test results. You may be off on your water balance resulting in CSI out of range that caused the build up. If so I'd correct before you put a new cell in then watch it more closely in the future. Not sure where you are in Florida but I have no problem maintaining CSI withing limits here in Stuart. Are you on well water? Well water all over Florida is very high in total hardness but there are ways to mitigate.

Chris

Thanks guys,
We bought the house a couple of years ago. I didn't ask the previous owner, but I believe the SWG system was not new when we got the home.
By CSI, do you mean Calcium hardness (sorry - I'm still relatively new at this)?

*** Correction after post. TFP recommended range for CSI is +/-.6 not .3. I find that balancing water to 0 to -.3 should be better for cell life and easy to attain with TFP recommended ranges***

CSI is a calculate parameter that is reported by Pool Math using test results. The recommended range is +/- .3. I should also mention don't target CSI. Balance your pool using normal TFP ranges. This will almost always get your CSI where you need it to be. Then you can make sure minor changes if needed will improve your CSI. Here are a few articles that may be of interest:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
------------------------------------------
Test Results 03-12-2020 @ 02:18 pm
Free Chlorine: 4.0
Combined Chlorine: 5.0
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 250
CYA: 15
Salt: 3070

Test Results 03-05-2020 @ 09:33 pm
Free Chlorine: 0.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 90
Calcium Hardness: 200
CYA: 15
Salt: 2040

It looks like concrete - maybe that's the same as plaster. It's not ceramic tiled and not vinyl.

Plaster pools have a gunite/concrete shell that then has plaster on the inside. For plaster pools CSI in the 0 to -0.3 is in the green good zone. Between -0.31 to -0.6 is in a yellow warning zone that you don’t want to keep it at long term. Over -0.6 is a red zone where the water will be aggressive and erode plaster and cause etching if left long term.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.