Pool Permitting: Window Latches/ Door Alarms (already searched the forum)

cgtx

Jul 23, 2018
Austin/TX
Hello! Our pool construction is (knock on wood) nearing the end, after many delays, and we have spent days spending tens of hours online trying to find acceptably- rated window latches (door alarms, too) that we can order and receive ASAP. Our builder was vague in what he said we need: Window Latches must be ASTM F 2090 approved and state it on the equipment, and door alarms must be UL 2017 rated. We are in Austin, TX. Try as I may, I have searched high and low and can not find the answers to this on our city's website. Neighbors have said their inspections passed recently with cheap equipment that did not meet these standards, but I never seem to have that sort of luck. We have casement windows that crank outward, and supposedly we need devices (rated above) allowing 4" or less of egress. I have only found ones that are $100 each and take weeks to arrive. I need them for 10 windows, and I need the alarms for 6 doors. I did order those at $76/ pop.

Does anyone have specific models to look up, particularly for casement windows? My builder is no help aside from the ratings I mentioned above. My poor kids deserve to have their parents off of the computer, searching for expensive products we will install once and then never use again... THANK YOU!!!

This may be a possibility for the window. Probably best to call the company. It is unclear if you can just buy the device and not the whole window.

Attachments

• 19980717_All Brand WOCD Brochure-LR.PDF
    2 MB · Views: 12
I was going to say I have several that came off the day after the inspection. You have 10 windows and 6 doors that open onto to the pool area? Holy cow!

Reactions: cgtx
I was going to say I have several that came off the day after the inspection. You have 10 windows and 6 doors that open onto to the pool area? Holy cow!
To think I was posting that from the kitchen and had been forgetting to include the kitchen windows this entire time when I’ve spent tens of hours with my nose buried online, searching! It is 12 windows. 😩🙇🏼‍♀️ That’s $1200 + about $90 in tax just for latches, alone, which won’t even arrive in time, to be the approved ones. There has to be another answer. I hope windows don’t need alarms, too, like the doors do.
@HermanTX For some reason I am unable to open the link. Thank you so much for your trying to help.

To think I was posting that from the kitchen and had been forgetting to include the kitchen windows this entire time when I’ve spent tens of hours with my nose buried online, searching! It is 12 windows. 😩🙇🏼‍♀️ That’s $1200 + about $90 in tax just for latches, alone, which won’t even arrive in time, to be the approved ones. There has to be another answer. I hope windows don’t need alarms, too, like the doors do.
@HermanTX For some reason I am unable to open the link. Thank you so much for your trying to help.
It should download to your download folder.

Reactions: cgtx
If they are casement can’t you just remove the cranks and say they don’t open. Then put the cranks back on after you pass?

You all may be on to something... brilliant, I’d say. Food for thought... thank you so much!! :)).

... Unless they then alert some other city department and tattle that we aren’t up to code because windows don’t have egress... 🙄 Going to mull over this option. Thank you so much!!

You all may be on to something... brilliant, I’d say. Food for thought... thank you so much!! :)).

... Unless they then alert some other city department and tattle that we aren’t up to code because windows don’t have egress... 🙄 Going to mull over this option. Thank you so much!!

do you have other windows in the room that don’t open to the pool area? As far as I know you only need egress in a bedroom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
do you have other windows in the room that don’t open to the pool area? As far as I know you only need egress in a bedroom.
These are just the downstairs windows which face out to the pool behind the back side gates- that’s what my builder says needs latches/ alarms. I was thinking about the egress situation as well: every one of the rooms where there are casement windows also have French doors, so I’d assume that would mitigate windows not having egress. I’ve not been able to find the code online, which is driving me crazy, and the builder hasn’t responded to that question. Will nab him in the morning. I want to see code for myself. The passing comments from the foreman, with the ratings thrown in at the last minute when I pressed for specifics, aren’t cutting it.

Would love it if everyones’ “inoperable” idea would fly! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.