Pool Packages or Buy Separately?

somedaypool

Jun 9, 2020
Fresno, CA
Hello,

This is my first post. I'm doing some research on purchasing an above ground pool. I moved in December to a home with a much larger lot. We would someday like to get an in ground pool but our goal at this time is to get an above ground to use for the next 10 years. I'm on almost a half acre and am looking at a 24' round saltwater pool (we could go larger but I'm really unsure what our needs are with a 1 and 4 year old.) I don't know what brand yet. I was originally looking at the legacy portable pool but after some research, that outfit seems a bit shady. I see on websites like the pool factory and others that you can buy the pool itself and then add the pump and nicer liner and all the extras. My question for those of you who've already done all this, is it cheaper to just purchase the pool and look for sales on equipment (pump, ladder, vacuum) on different websites or do you get a discount buying it all in a package? I'm not in a particular hurry since if we install it ourselves, it's going to take until next season. The COVID thing really put a wrench in our plans since we aren't getting a pool because of that but because the age of our children and our new larger backyard. I'm also not sure how much the prices are inflated right now compared to what they normally are. I look back on some of these posts and people were paying $1500 for a pool but that was in 2008. Are the prices still inflated because of the pandemic?

Thank you!

Msch99

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
Verona, MO
Probably bundling from same store cheaper I would imagine. And less retailers to deal with if something goes wrong or doesn’t quite fit.

I would consider a oval or rectangle instead of round. Our next one will be. Easier to swim laps and can set up volleyball etc.

Not many pools in stock, premium prices for awhile I imagine.

Teald024

TFP Guide
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
I’d be surprised if there were any “end of season” sales on pools this year. Most places are having a hard time having enough stock to fill demand.
Equipment packages can offer a discount at times. If you aren’t in a hurry, you can wait till they go on sale or get them off season on sale.

Just some hints as you search for equipment:
* Get at least a 2speed pump, but a variable speed (VS) is better. 1 to 1.5 hp is a good size unless it’s a VS.
* consider how you want to chlorinate. Stay away from gimmicky systems. No mineral systems, no UV, no ozone
* bigger filter is better, read up on the types of filters and their maintenance and pick one that sounds more suitable to your style. All have pros and cons.
* learn the FC/ CYA ratio and why it’s important. It’ll help you choose a chlorination method.

Ask any questions you have. There is an Equipment section where you can read through other advice given.

Last edited: